History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

White Friars Hotel

A Grade II Listed Building in Wartling, East Sussex

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.8781 / 50°52'41"N

Longitude: 0.363 / 0°21'46"E

OS Eastings: 566334

OS Northings: 111397

OS Grid: TQ663113

Mapcode National: GBR NVB.W0J

Mapcode Global: FRA C6NS.770

Entry Name: White Friars Hotel

Listing Date: 13 October 1952

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1300294

English Heritage Legacy ID: 295696

Location: Wartling, Wealden, East Sussex, BN27

County: East Sussex

District: Wealden

Civil Parish: Wartling

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Wartling St Mary Magdalene

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Find accommodation in
Herstmonceux

Listing Text

WARTLING BOREHAM STREET
1.
5208
White Friars Hotel
TQ 6611 34/330 13.10.52

II


2.
The oldest portion is the stone and brick crow-stepped chimney breast on
the north-east wall which is C16. But the main portion of the building dates
from 1721. The main front faces south-east. Two storeys and attic. Nine
windows. Three dormers. Red brick and grey headers, covered with creepers.
Stringcourse. Eaves cornice. Hipped tiled roof. Casement windows with
small square leaded panes. Doorway with flat hood on brackets and stone
sundial over with the date 1721, the initials B. I. M. and the arms of the
Benbridge family. The north-east front has a stone Venetian window on ground
floor with Ionic pilasters, and a doorway with fluted Ionic half-columns
and a door of 6 fielded panels, flanked by side-lights above which a tile-hung
bay has been built out on brick pillars. The north-west or entrance front
has 6 windows and consists of 4 short parallel ranges at right angles to
the main wing, each having a gable with a chimney at its apex. Modern wing
added on the south side. The interior contains bolection-moulded panelling
of 1721 circa and a plaster ceiling in the dining-roof.


Listing NGR: TQ6633411397

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.