This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1323 / 51°7'56"N
Longitude: -1.7002 / 1°42'0"W
OS Eastings: 421071
OS Northings: 137050
OS Grid: SU210370
Mapcode National: GBR 50L.WH3
Mapcode Global: VHC31.HS0T
Entry Name: Building 106, Chemical Defence Establishment, Porton Down
Listing Date: 29 May 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1300376
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319954
Location: Idmiston, Wiltshire, SP4
Civil Parish: Idmiston
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Idmiston with Porton Gomeldon St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 23 NW
4/95 Building 106, Chemical Defence
Establishment, Porton Down
Headquarters building, 1916 for Royal Engineers Experimental
Station (Gas Corps) now administration offices. Rendered brick
with asbestos slate roof. Single storey, symmetrical, in Colonial
style. Central entrance and circulation with wings ending in
cross wings, forming an extended H-plan. Central pair of panelled
doors with floating segmental pediment on consoles and 2-bays of
timber paned cross windows either side, terminating in line
rusticated raised quoins, the whole capped with elegant simple
triangular pediment. Wings of 9 bays, each again symmetrical, the
central bay set forward with slight pediment and window within wide
architrave and apron. Wings at ends 5 x 3 bays with rusticated
quoins to corners and central bay on each face also set forward and
pedimented. Various later extensions at rear. Roofs hipped.
Central timber clocktower with clock and windvane.
Interior: lobby from entrance leads to octagonal domed circulation
area with doors to cardinal faces and blind doors on angles, all
with architraves. Central corridor to offices in wings, some with
8-panelled doors. North-west wing contains conference room.
Important as the first building erected in Britain for the
development of chemical warfare, under the command of Lt. Co. A.W.
Crossley CMG, CBE, LLD, FRS, RE. The Old Chemistry Building,
1922, and the Old Physics Building, the first laboratories survive
as stores, but are utilitarian and not of special interest.
Listing NGR: SU2107137050
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings