This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1533 / 51°9'12"N
Longitude: -1.7094 / 1°42'33"W
OS Eastings: 420420
OS Northings: 139383
OS Grid: SU204393
Mapcode National: GBR 50D.LMZ
Mapcode Global: VHC31.B85P
Entry Name: Church of St John the Baptist
Listing Date: 18 February 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1300482
English Heritage Legacy ID: 319899
Location: Allington, Wiltshire, SP4
Civil Parish: Allington
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Allington with Boscombe St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
The entry was subject to a minor enhancement on 5 July 2017.
SU 23 NW
4/1 Church of St John the Baptist
Anglican parish church, 1848-51, architect unrecorded but possibly
T.H. Wyatt, on C12 foundations. Flint interspersed with limestone
and limestone dressings. Tiled roof. Nave and chancel, and south
porch raised as tower. Nave has north and south doors, the north
door with sections of late C12 lozenge, bead and chevron arch.
Three and two light square headed trefoiled windows. Chancel has 2
reset narrow late C12-early C13 lancets and 3-light east window, the
hood mould on large mask terminals. Short tower over porch, 2
stages with angle buttresses, 2-light bell openings and a
crenellated parapet with gargoyle spouts. Pyramidal tiled roof.
Interior: Nave rendered and colourwashed. C19 wagon roof. Narrow
chancel opening with arch of 2 orders on medieval bead cavetto
string around imposts. Chancel of 2 bays, the walls stencilled in
1876 in memory of Fulmer William Fowle. Encaustic tiles. Shallow
single sedilia with painted curtaining, and piscina with bowl on
attached half shaft. East window contains a glazed Crucifixion of
1876. Fittings: Font, limestone C19 in C12 manner. Pyramidal
pierced font cover of C17. Pulpit of oak, C19. Pews, two C16-C17
slab ended, and others built to match. Monuments: Simple marble
tablet by Osmund of Sarum, to Mary Tarrant, died 1883. Detached
painted metal creed board. Furniture: In porch, a C16-C17 small
oak churchwardens coffer on legs, with 3 iron locks, and a C17
Reverend Thomas Fowle was vicar at the church from 1793 to 1797.
He was a pupil of Reverend George Austen, the father of Jane Austen,
from 1779 to 1783. Thomas and Jane’s sister grew fond of each other when
he studied with her father and they probably became engaged in 1792.
Sadly he died of yellow fever in 1797 whilst accompanying his relative
Lord Craven on military duties as a chaplain in the West Indies before he
could marry Cassandra. Thomas left Cassandra all his savings in his will.
Jane Austen is recorded as having attended church at Allington.
T(Churches of the Upper Bourne Valley, 1985).
Listing NGR: SU2042039383
This listing was enhanced in 2017 to mark the bicentenary of Jane Austen's death.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings