This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1941 / 52°11'38"N
Longitude: -1.852 / 1°51'7"W
OS Eastings: 410213
OS Northings: 255102
OS Grid: SP102551
Mapcode National: GBR 3K9.DLS
Mapcode Global: VHB0G.V39V
Entry Name: Church of St Giles
Listing Date: 1 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1300496
English Heritage Legacy ID: 305101
Location: Exhall, Stratford-on-Avon, Warwickshire, B49
Civil Parish: Exhall
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Warwickshire
Church of England Parish: Exhall with Wixford
Church of England Diocese: Coventry
SP15NW EXHALL MAIN STREET
3/89 Church of St Giles
Church. C12 nave with alterations c.1320, and C13 nave. Restored and partly
rebuilt 1862 by Solomon Hunt, mostly at the expense of the Reverend H.C
Carleton. Lias and limestone wtih limestone and some sandstone dressings.
Chancel of coursed rubble, but east gable and south wall rebuilt in regular
courses from height of 4 feet. Nave south wall and western part of north
wall irregular coursed, eastern part of north wall rebuilt. Tile roofs with
coped gables. Nave and chancel each of 2 bays, not quite in line; south-west
porch and bellcote of 1862. Gothic arched door, and porch with hood
mould and low angle buttresses. Blocked Romanesque north door with scalloped
capitals; shafts missing. Most windows of 1862. Nave has straight-headed
Decorated south window of 3 ogee-headed lights, with segmental arch inside, and
ballflower decoration. North window with tracery of 2 cusped crosses. 2 west
lancets and central buttress with coped top. Bellcote with clock below and
lead pyramid roof. Buttresses to north and south walls largely renewed.
Chancel has 2-light Decorated east window, renewed, with hood moulds continued
across wall. To north two C13 lancets, to south one 2-light window and one
lancet, inside with rere arches. Diagonal and south buttresses. Interior:
simple arch-braced roofs. Chancel: late C19 glass in east window. 2 small
brasses: John Walsingham (died 1566) and his wife. Nave: west door to
cupboard. Plain tapered cylindrical font on moulded octagonal base.
V.C.H.: Warwickshire III, p.90; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.291).
Listing NGR: SP1021355102
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings