History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wolfhall Manor

A Grade II Listed Building in Burbage, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3556 / 51°21'20"N

Longitude: -1.6543 / 1°39'15"W

OS Eastings: 424167

OS Northings: 161897

OS Grid: SU241618

Mapcode National: GBR 5Z8.W0Z

Mapcode Global: VHC23.86S3

Entry Name: Wolfhall Manor

Listing Date: 30 July 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1300523

English Heritage Legacy ID: 310745

Location: Burbage, Wiltshire, SN8

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Burbage

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Find accommodation in
Little Bedwyn

Listing Text

GRAFTON -
SU 26 SE
4/25 Wolfhall Manor
II
Farmhouse, C16, C17, c1800 and c1880. Brick and timber framing.
Tiled roof. Two-storey and attics, 4-bay core structure with C18
east wing and stair tower in reentrant, to which is added a c1800
2-storey 6-bay north wing, further extended to east c1880.
Original structure upper floor timber framed, possibly jettied,
with stack in 3rd bay and 4th bay framed gable. North wing with
door in 3rd bay; 6 panelled with open pediment on paired brackets.
Twelve-pane sashes with painted brick lintels to ground floor, 6-
pane above. West gable with canted bay, C18 wing with later C19
extensions and bay linking to late C19 extended wing with pierced
carved bargeboards and decorated stacks. Lean-to verandah. Sun
Insurance sign No 51253. Interior: Chamfered ceiling beams.
Stone fireplace to ground and first floor. Some C18 panelling to
sitting room. Brick culvert below stair block on different
alignment, C16-C17, although Aubrey states building was always
timber framed. Major demolitions c1855. The building is on the
site of the Seymour manor house visited by Henry VIII in 1535 and
1539, derelict at and abandoned after 1571. Seymour glass reset in
Great Bedwyn church, (q.v.). (Jackson Canon J.E. Wolfhall and The
Seymours WAM XV 140-207).


Listing NGR: SU2416761897

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.