History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Sutton Veny House

A Grade II Listed Building in Sutton Veny, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1802 / 51°10'48"N

Longitude: -2.1496 / 2°8'58"W

OS Eastings: 389642

OS Northings: 142339

OS Grid: ST896423

Mapcode National: GBR 1VF.WYB

Mapcode Global: VH97P.PLGM

Entry Name: Sutton Veny House

Listing Date: 1 July 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1300544

English Heritage Legacy ID: 313437

Location: Sutton Veny, Wiltshire, BA12

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Sutton Veny

Built-Up Area: Sutton Veny

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: Sutton Veny St John the Evangelist

Church of England Diocese: Salisbury

Find accommodation in
Bishopstrow

Listing Text

SUTTON VENY BISHOPSTROW ROAD
ST 84 SE
(off east side)
3/215 Sutton Veny House

GV II

Country house, now nursing home. 1856 rebuilding for Joseph
Everett. Limestone ashlar, Welsh slate and lead flats, ashlar
stacks. Regency style. Two-storey, 7-windowed west front;
sashes. Central 2-storey semi-circular bow with domed top, central
glazed door and 12-pane sash either side within Tuscan colonnade,
left and right are two 12-pane sashes. String course to first
floor; sashes either side of bow with three sashes; all in
moulded stone architraves, chanelled rusticated quoins, dentilled
and modillioned cornice to panelled blocking course. Left return
has 2 storey bow with sashes, single storey attached garden room
with French windows and sashes. Right return is garden front with
central 5 bays recessed between 2-bay flanking wings, verandah on
Tuscan columns to centre bays, central French windows and two
sashes either side, first floor balcony over with five sashes,
flanking wings with two ashes to both floors, all sashes in moulded
architraves, channelled rusticated quoins, cornice and blocking
course as front. Rear garden front has Ionic portico, up steps to
French windows with side 8-pane sashes, three sashes to first
floor. Rear 2-storey 5-bay service block with 6-panelled door in
gabled porch to rear entrance, plain ashlar with 12-pane sashes.
Interior: C17 and C18-style features such as large entrance hall
with Ionic columns and round-arched openings, early C18 style
stairs have three turned balusters per open string tread, ramped
and wreathed handrails. C17-style panelling and fireplaces to main
ground floor rooms, 6-panelled doors, enriched ceiling cornices,
drawing room has carved stone fireplace, bolection-moulded
panelling and doors with eight fielded panels. A rebuilding on the
site of a C17 house by Joseph Everett, a local mill owner, to whose
memory the Church of St. John was built (q.v.). The house was
originally known as Greenhill House. (National Monuments Record;
VCH, Wiltshire, Vol 8, 1965).


Listing NGR: ST8964242339

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.