History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St John

A Grade II Listed Building in North Wraxall, Wiltshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4728 / 51°28'22"N

Longitude: -2.23 / 2°13'47"W

OS Eastings: 384122

OS Northings: 174898

OS Grid: ST841748

Mapcode National: GBR 1QV.M17

Mapcode Global: VH969.97GS

Entry Name: Church of St John

Listing Date: 9 December 1985

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1300559

English Heritage Legacy ID: 317509

Location: North Wraxall, Wiltshire, SN14

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: North Wraxall

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Church of England Parish: North Wraxall

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Find accommodation in
Slaughterford

Listing Text

NORTH WRAXALL FORD
ST 87 SW
4/418 Church of St. John

GV II

Anglican parish church, 1896-7 by C. E. Ponting, rock-faced rubble
stone with red plain tile roof. Free Perpendicular Gothic style.
Single overall roof, but cross gabled at west tower with shingled
spirelet, gables tile-hung with timber louvres. 2 large west
buttresses framing broad 4-light west window. South west porch in
angle to nave with coped gable shouldered over ashlar angle piers.
4-window nave of flat-headed 2-light windows. Nave framed by big
ashlar gabled buttresses, south west buttress carrying octagonal
stack, south east buttress with statue niche and crockets to gable.
North side buttresses are plainer and tiled. Stepped ashlar centre
buttress each side. Chancel is narrower with taller walls, 2
deep-set single lights with moulded arches over to south, one to
north and lean-to vestry. Gabled buttresses at east end. Broad
5-light east window with ogee hood and ashlar walling each side set
high. Foundation stone 1896 below.
Interior: Timber wagon roof, high timber screen and east window by
Morris & Co 1913. (Academy Architecture, 1898.)

Listing NGR: ST8411074901

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.