This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.82 / 51°49'12"N
Longitude: -1.6617 / 1°39'42"W
OS Eastings: 423412
OS Northings: 213544
OS Grid: SP234135
Mapcode National: GBR 5SN.SV7
Mapcode Global: VHBZS.4JV3
Entry Name: Church of St John the Evangelist
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1300575
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253719
Location: Taynton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Taynton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Taynton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
Church of St. John the
Church. c.1360 nave and north aisle; south aisle c.1500; chancel rebuilt c.1865
by W.F. Poulton. Stone ashlar; stone slate roof to chancel, other roofs not
visible. 2-bay chancel, 3-bay aisled nave and west tower. North side: C19 stone
porch to centre of aisle, having 2-centre arch on half-columns. 2-centre arched
doorway with hood mould and double-leaf door. 3-light Curvilinear-tracery window
to left of aisle. Three 3-light stone mullion windows to clerestory, having
cusped lights and hood moulds. 3-light Reticulated-tracery window to right
return of aisle. 2 lancets to chancel. Battlemented parapet to aisle, plain
parapet to nave. South side. Blocked 2-centre arched doorway with moulded
surround to left of aisle. Stone 4-light mullion and transom window to right
with cusped lights and hood mould. 4-light stone mullion window to left, above
doorway, with cusped lights and hoodmould. Lancet to left return of aisle. C19
paired lancets to organ chamber and vestry. Plain parapet to aisle. Three
3-light stone mullion windows to clerestory having cusped lights and hood
moulds. Triple lancet to East end of chancel. West tower has louvred lancets to
upper stage and louvred 2-light Rectilinear-tracery openings to top stage.
Battlemented parapet. Interior: 2-bay C19 arch-braced collar truss roof to
chancel. 3-bay Perpendicular roof to nave with moulded ribs and gilded bosses,
probably largely C19 restoration,. Nave arcades of 2 two-centred arches on
fluted piers. 2-centre arch to tower. Rood-screen steps to left of chancel arch.
Elaborate C15 octagonal stone font.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1979, pp804-5)
Listing NGR: SP2341213544
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings