This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.4764 / 51°28'34"N
Longitude: -1.9755 / 1°58'31"W
OS Eastings: 401798
OS Northings: 175266
OS Grid: SU017752
Mapcode National: GBR 2SH.CD1
Mapcode Global: VHB3W.Q502
Entry Name: The Old Vicarage
Listing Date: 25 November 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1300615
English Heritage Legacy ID: 316353
Location: Hilmarton, Wiltshire, SN11
Civil Parish: Hilmarton
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: Hilmarton St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
HILMARTON CALNE ROAD
SU 07 NW
6/226 The Old Vicarage
Former rectory, 1841 by G. Salway of Chippenham, squared rubble
stone with ashlar dressings, stone slate roof, coped gables and
parapets. Two storeys and attic, L-plan, tall proportions. Raised
plinth, band, moulded cornice and flush quoins. South front has
two-window range to left with rear stack, and slightly advanced
cross wing gable to right with coped shouldered gable and finial.
Band and cornice carried around. Cross wing has 16-pane sash each
floor in flush surrounds, smaller 16-pane sash to attic. Range to
left has 16-pane and 12-pane sashes above, 16-pane and half-glazed
door below. Door in ashlar enclosed porch with double doors in
plain raised surround, cornice and parapet. Cross wing has ridge
and north end stacks, east side originally 3-window range of
sashes, 12-pane to centre, 16-pane each side, but left sashes are
replaced by large shallow square bay with 16-pane sash, cornice and
shouldered gable. Plans for house dated 1839 are in Wiltshire
Record Office, though with cross wing to left rather than right.
Built for £1281/16/10d. Canon F. Goddard records alterations of
1858-9 by H. Weaver, these mostly removed.
(Wiltshire Record Office D/11/79; Canon F. Goddard, Reminiscences
of a Wiltshire Vicar 1928)
Listing NGR: SU0179275270
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings