This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8068 / 51°48'24"N
Longitude: -1.6048 / 1°36'17"W
OS Eastings: 427341
OS Northings: 212090
OS Grid: SP273120
Mapcode National: GBR 5SX.P2R
Mapcode Global: VHBZT.4VF9
Entry Name: Church of St Oswald
Listing Date: 12 September 1955
Last Amended: 21 August 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1300619
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253702
Location: Swinbrook and Widford, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX18
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Swinbrook and Widford
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Asthall with Swinbrook and Widford
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SWINBROOK AND WIDFORD WIDFORD
13/144 Church of St. Oswald
12/09/55 (Formerly listed as Church of
St. Oswald of Widford)
Church. Built on site of Roman villa; C13 nave and chancel, restored c.1904.
Uncoursed stone rubble; stone slate roof; stone bellcote between chancel and
nave. 3-bay nave, and 2-bay chancel. South side: 4-centre-arched doorway to
centre of nave with plank door. Trefoiled lancets to left and right of nave.
Trefoiled lancets with hood moulds to left and right of chancel. North side:
blocked round-arched doorway to centre of nave, 2-light stone mullion window to
left of nave. Trefoiled lancet to right of chancel. West end: 3-light stone
mullion and transom window. East end: 3-light Reticulated-tracery window.
Interior: chancel collar-truss roof. Medieval wall paintings. Piscina to right
of altar. C17 communion rail with flat wood balusters and moulded wood rail.
Fragments of Roman mosaic flooring to left and right of chancel floor, below
level of floor. Nave: 3-bay collar-truss roof. Medieval wall paintings. C18 box
pews. Hexagonal wood pulpit with tracery panels probably made from C15 screen.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: 1979, p841)
Listing NGR: SP2734112090
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings