This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.1878 / 51°11'16"N
Longitude: -2.1909 / 2°11'27"W
OS Eastings: 386751
OS Northings: 143192
OS Grid: ST867431
Mapcode National: GBR 1VC.JWV
Mapcode Global: VH97N.ZD3S
Entry Name: Baptist Church and Attached Shop
Listing Date: 11 September 1968
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1300636
English Heritage Legacy ID: 313406
Location: Longbridge Deverill, Wiltshire, BA12
Civil Parish: Longbridge Deverill
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
Church of England Parish: The Deverills and Horningsham
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
LONGBRIDGE DEVERILL CROCKERTON GREEN
ST 84 SE
3/185 Baptist Chapel and
Particular Baptist chapel and former school room, now shop
premises. Early C18. Coursed rubble stone, tiled roof, brick
stack to right. Four-windowed chapel, 1-windowed schoolroom.
Chapel has three tall round-arched leaded windows to left, planked
door to right with round-arched leaded window over, lighting
gallery. Two storey schoolroom has 6-panelled door with flat
wooden hood and 16-pane flush sash to right, round-arched fixed
window to first floor, chamfered rusticated quoins to chapel and
schoolroom. Moulded stone eaves cornice. Rear of chapel has three
square-headed leaded windows to right, 2-light casement to ground
and first floor of gallery end to left, schoolroom to left has 16-
pane sash to both floors.
Interior of chapel has C19 south gallery on cast-iron composite
columns, pine gallery balustrade, C19 pews with some reused C18
panelling. C18 octagonal pulpit with fielded panelling. Marble
tablets on north wall to John Clark died 1803, signed Biggs of
Bath, and to Joseph Thresher, died 1842, both ministers of this
chapel. Chapel founded in 1660s and associated with the Adlam
family of Bull Mill (q.v.) Ceased to be used for worship early
1980s. (B. Watkin, Crockerton, 1983.)
Listing NGR: ST8675143192
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings