This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.9558 / 51°57'20"N
Longitude: -1.5388 / 1°32'19"W
OS Eastings: 431790
OS Northings: 228687
OS Grid: SP317286
Mapcode National: GBR 6SL.7SZ
Mapcode Global: VHBZ8.83VJ
Entry Name: The Stables
Listing Date: 30 August 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1300704
English Heritage Legacy ID: 253290
Location: Over Norton, West Oxfordshire, Oxfordshire, OX7
District: West Oxfordshire
Civil Parish: Over Norton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Chipping Norton with Over Norton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
OVER NORTON OVER NORTON PARK
13/110 The Stables
Stables, now outbuildings and studios. Late C17, possibly altered C18; partly
converted C20. Squared coursed limestone with ashlar dressings; Welsh-slate
roof. Long main range with short returns. 2 storeys. 16-window front, with
chamfered rusticated ashlar quoins, has 2-light stone-mullioned windows at first
floor rising from an ashlar band, some retaining leaded casements. Ground floor
has a group of 3 wide segmental-arched openings in bays 10, 11 and 12, with
linked impost blocks and projecting keyblocks, which may be a C18 alterations;
bays to left have alternating stable doors, with overlights and moulded stone
surrounds, and tall stone-mullioned windows with transoms and leaded galzing;
bays to right have similar openings but the stone mullions have been removed.
Hipped roof returns to short wings at both ends. Rear retains at least one
mullioned window but also has later openings and is partly concealed. Interior:
butt-purl in roofs. One stone door surround has a small scratched inscription "II
1778" but this is unlikely to relate to erection or alteration. The stables to
Over Norton House which was demolished and rebuilt in 1875.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p541)
Listing NGR: SP3179028687
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings