History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Rectory

A Grade II Listed Building in Launton, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.9004 / 51°54'1"N

Longitude: -1.1229 / 1°7'22"W

OS Eastings: 460447

OS Northings: 222788

OS Grid: SP604227

Mapcode National: GBR 8XC.YRG

Mapcode Global: VHCX4.HH7J

Entry Name: The Old Rectory

Listing Date: 26 November 1951

Last Amended: 9 December 1987

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1300750

English Heritage Legacy ID: 243473

Location: Launton, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX26

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Launton

Built-Up Area: Launton

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Launton

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Stratton Audley

Listing Text

SP6022 LAUNTON BICESTER R0AD
(South side)

13/88 The Old Rectory
26/11/51 (Formerly listed as Rectory)

GV II


Wing of rectory, now house. 1828 by John Plowman (builder) for Reverend James
Blomfield but part probably slightly earlier. Coursed squared limestone with
some ashlar dressings; Welsh-slate roof with brick stacks. Double-depth plan. 2
storeys. Right bay of 4-window front is earlier and has large tripartite sashes
to both floors; other bays have 12-pane sashes plus the entrance, with 4-panel
door, rectangular overlight and the inscription "Pax Intrantibus Salus
Exeuntibus" on the lintel of its pilastered ashlar doorcase. All windows have
ashlar flat arches. Shallow-pitched hipped roof with overhanging boxed eaves has
end stacks. Rear has full-height sashes and a doorway with a fanlight. Interior
not inspected. Entrance is re-set from a contemporary, demolished section. The
C16/C17 main range, the home of Bishop Skinner during the Commonwealth, was
demolished in 1965 but the study fireplace is now incorporated into a garage.
(V.C.H.: 0xfordshire, Vol.VI, p.233).


Listing NGR: SP6044722788

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.