History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Castle House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Deddington, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.


Latitude: 51.9822 / 51°58'55"N

Longitude: -1.3207 / 1°19'14"W

OS Eastings: 446752

OS Northings: 231746

OS Grid: SP467317

Mapcode National: GBR 7TT.NY3

Mapcode Global: VHCWN.2F5S

Entry Name: Castle House

Listing Date: 8 December 1955

Last Amended: 5 May 1988

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1300851

English Heritage Legacy ID: 243869

Location: Deddington, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX15

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Deddington

Built-Up Area: Deddington

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Deddington

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

(East side)
8/145 Castle House
08/12/55 (Formerly listed as Castle
House, Horsefair)

Rectorial manor house. C13, rebuilt probably c.1654 for Thomas Appletree;
restored 1894 by Thomas Garner for H.R. Franklin; extended early C20. Coursed
squared marlstone and limestone with limestone-ashlar dressings;
Stonesfield-slate roofs with ashlar stacks. Complex plan based on 3 adjoining
towers. 2-storey triple-gabled front, in which the left bay projects as a
full-height porch, has a large 2-storey stone-mullioned bow window in the right
bay, and has 4-light stone-mullioned windows with labels at first floor in the
other 2 bays; the Tudor-arched main doorway is set below a segmental cornice,
and the porch gable has finials and projecting moulded kneelers. Most of it
probably dates from 1894 but is a re-modelling of a C17 range. A double-depth
subsidiary range in similar style, set back to left, is of c.1930. To rear of
main range are 3 towers. To left is a small marlstone tower of 3 storeys plus
semi-basement, the 2 lower floors C13, the upper floors probably C17 with a
pitched roof and small mullioned windows. Central 4-storey stair tower,
projecting further to rear with a balustraded roof, has large transomed
stone-mullioned windows on 3 sides; the top storey is limestone ashlar and the
rear is banded with limestone. Lead rainwater heads are inscribed "A/TM/1654".
Comtemporary 3-storey tower to right is also banded to rear, and has an ashlar
garden front facing right which breaks around a wide full-height canted bay
window, with 9-light transomed stone-mullioned windows below moulded strings,
and with a 4-light semi-basement window in the high moulded plinth, all much
restored after a fire of 1925. Transomed windows in rear wall, now mostly
blocked, are probably original. Flat roof has a plain parapet with moulded
copings. Interior: earliest tower has a first-floor chapel, the north and west
walls with C13 arcades, each forming triple sedilia, and the south wall with a
roll-moulded piscina, the projecting bowl mutilated; the east wall has a C17
stone fireplace, and the heavy chamfered door frame and door are probably also
C17. The fine wide oak dogleg stair retains original C17 work in its lower
flights, and has heavy turned balusters, fluted newels, ball finials, and a
handrail of trefoil section; the ornamented closed string has elaborate soffit
cusping. The chamber tower has 3 fine rooms, all with oak panelling,
stop-chamfered beams and restored fireplaces with panelled overmantels; the
upper rooms are probably heavily restored. C19 work in the main range includes a
barrel-vaulted plaster ceiling in a bedroom, and a Jacobean-style plaster frieze
in the porch room. Charles I is said to have stayed in the house in 1644.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp570-71; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol XI, p97; R.
Wood-Jones: Traditional Domestic Architecture in the Banbury Region, 1963, p164;
Country Life, 20 June 1908)

Listing NGR: SP4675231746

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.