History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Mary

A Grade II* Listed Building in Kirtlington, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8718 / 51°52'18"N

Longitude: -1.2749 / 1°16'29"W

OS Eastings: 450021

OS Northings: 219493

OS Grid: SP500194

Mapcode National: GBR 7W7.NHH

Mapcode Global: VHCX7.V6DX

Entry Name: Church of St Mary

Listing Date: 7 December 1966

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1300872

English Heritage Legacy ID: 243433

Location: Kirtlington, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX5

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Kirtlington

Built-Up Area: Kirtlington

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Kirtlington

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Kirtlington

Listing Text

SP5019 KIRTLINGTON CHURCH LANE
(East side)

16/48 Church of St. Mary
07/12/66

GV II*


Church. Early C12 (or possibly earlier), mid C13, C14 and C15; tower rebuilt
1853 by Benjamin Ferrey; restored and chancel rebuilt 1877 by G.G. Scott;
restored 1905. Limestone rubble (squared and coursed where rebuilt) with ashlar
dressings; lead and Stonesfield-slate roofs. Aisled nave, chancel, central
tower, south chapel and south porch. C19 slated chancel incorporates much
re-used stonework in the round-headed lancets of the side windows and in the
quoins of the stepped angle buttresses; large 5-light east window with
intersecting tracery, priest's door and a 2-light Perpendicular low-side window
are probably also original; east gable has tall octagonal corner pinnacles. A
monument on the north wall commemorates "Thomas, Sir Robert Dashwood's Black"
(died 1691). South aisle extends beside central tower and has 2 large
square-headed C15 windows of 3 cinquefoiled lights plus a similar window to
west; monuments on the south side include several early-C17 inscriptions and a
pedimented Baroque monument. South porch has C15 entrance arch and shelters the
early-C14 south door with continuous hollow mouldings. West wall of nave has a
similar doorway below a C14 window with 3 lights and cusped intersecting
tracery; 2-light west window of north aisle is similar. North wall has a renewed
square-headed Perpendicular window and a small blocked mid-C13 doorway with deep
mouldings and a shouldered inner arch. Clerestory windows each have 2
rectangular lights. Rectangular tower in Norman style is externally C19 and has
paired bell-chamber openings of 3 orders with cushion capitals below an arcaded
corbel table; rounded stair turret to north. Interior: chancel incorporates a
C13 trefoil-headed double piscina with restored projecting bowls, but is
otherwise C19 with fine foliage corbels supporting a waggon roof, and an
elaborate encaustic-tile and marble floor. Rebuilt east tower arch has crude
square imposts on later semi-octagonal responds and may be partly pre-Conquest;
west arch is unchamfered and has a hood of chevron with renewed head stops.
Lower C14 arch to south leads to the Dashwood Chapel. A C11/C12 carved tympanum
is re-set over the vestry door. 3-bay C13 nave arcades have quatrefoil columns,
with stiff-leaf capitals to south and moulded capitals to north, and have carved
headstops to the hoods. Roofs are in C15 style and incorporate some original
work. Large wall painting on the north wall. Fittings include a C17 communion
table with baluster legs, a mid-C17 octagonal pulpit with arched perspective
panels, and richly-carved chancel furnishings by Scott. The entrance to the
Dashwood Chapel has an early-C18 wrought-iron screen and gates with urn-topped
side panels and a sumptuous crested overthrow. Monuments include a Baroque
cartouche to James Evans (died 1702) and, in the Dashwood Chapel, a large marble
wall monument of 1724, with a broken-segmental pediment and flanking drapery,
commemorating numerous members of the family and signed William and Thomas
Williams of Middleton Stoney. There are also many hatchments. Stained glass of
c.1852 in south aisle by Thomas Willement, and of 1877 in chancel.
(V.C.H.: Oxfordshire,'Vol.VI, p.229-31; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire,
pp.675-6). -- ---'-' --- -- - ------------------' -------


Listing NGR: SP5002119493

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.