History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Loggia Approximately 15 Metres North West of Adderbury House

A Grade II Listed Building in Adderbury, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0172 / 52°1'1"N

Longitude: -1.3079 / 1°18'28"W

OS Eastings: 447590

OS Northings: 235647

OS Grid: SP475356

Mapcode National: GBR 7TG.D50

Mapcode Global: VHCWG.8KXG

Entry Name: Loggia Approximately 15 Metres North West of Adderbury House

Listing Date: 8 December 1955

Last Amended: 5 May 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1300892

English Heritage Legacy ID: 243837

Location: Adderbury, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX17

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Adderbury

Built-Up Area: Adderbury

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Adderbury

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Adderbury

Listing Text

SP4735 ADDERBURY THE GREEN
(East side)
Adderbury East
7/114 Loggia approx. 15m NW of
08/12/55 Adderbury House
(Formerly listed as Adderbury
House with outbuildings and
gateway)

GV II
Loggia, formerly part of mansion. Probably 1731 by Roger Morris for Duke of
Argyll. Marlstone ashlar. Baroque style. Loggia is in the form of a 9-bay open
arcade with plinths, square imposts and round arches; a solid parapet with a
moulded coping rises from a plain band and terminates at full-height projecting
rusticated quoin strips. To left of the arcade is a later small ashlar pavilion
with a segmental-arched doorway. Plinth and impost band are carried around inner
walls of arcade and link with 3 doorways (in the end walls and in the centre of
the rear wall) which have Gibbsian surrounds with triple-stepped keyblocks, the
rear door having the same details externally. The loggia was formerly linked to
Adderbury House (q.v.) and formed the left side of the entrance court, being
matched by a similar on the south,
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp416-18; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol IX, pp7-9;
Country Life 1949 Vol 105, pp30-32)


Listing NGR: SP4759035647

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.