History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Stable Court Approximately 50 Metres South West of Adderbury House

A Grade II Listed Building in Adderbury, Oxfordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0168 / 52°1'0"N

Longitude: -1.3081 / 1°18'29"W

OS Eastings: 447581

OS Northings: 235602

OS Grid: SP475356

Mapcode National: GBR 7TG.D41

Mapcode Global: VHCWG.8KVR

Entry Name: Stable Court Approximately 50 Metres South West of Adderbury House

Listing Date: 8 December 1955

Last Amended: 5 May 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1300894

English Heritage Legacy ID: 243839

Location: Adderbury, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX17

County: Oxfordshire

District: Cherwell

Civil Parish: Adderbury

Built-Up Area: Adderbury

Traditional County: Oxfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire

Church of England Parish: Adderbury

Church of England Diocese: Oxford

Find accommodation in
Adderbury

Listing Text

SP4735 ADDERBURY THE GREEN
(East side)
Adderbury East
7/116 Stable court approx. 50m SW of
08/12/55 Adderbury House
(Formerly listed as Adderbury
House with outbuildings and
gateway)

GV II
Stable court. Probably 1731 by Roger Morris for Duke of Argyll, and c.1770,
possibly by sir William Chambers for Duke of Buccleuch. Ironstone ashlar;
Stonesfieid-slate roofs with ashlar stacks. Single range, extended by 2 wings
and enclosed by a wall and gates. 2 storeys. 3 central bays of main range are
rusticated and break forward between projecting quoin strips and below a shallow
pedimental gable containing clock within an oculus; ground floor has 3 round
arches containing coach-house doors, above which are small plain-architraved
windows, the middle window with a lowered sill. Plain ashlar flanking sections
terminating at projecting rusticated quoin strips each retain 3 similar
architraved windows at first floor, and the left range also has 3 architraved
openings at ground floor; ground floor to right is mostly C20 garage doors.
Hipped roof rises behind a solid parapet with a moulded coping. Later wings,
each a house, form 3-window pavilions linked to main range by lower sections,
and each has a symmetrical front with a central door between 12-pane sashes, and
has 6 pane sashes at first floor; parapets have moulded cornices continued round
all sides, and end and rear walls have similar windows. Outer face of left
linking section has a blind arch containing a smaller doorway. Pavilions and
linking sections are probably c.1770. Enclosing wall, approximately 2 metres
high, projects forward from the wings and returns to central rusticated
gatepiers capped by moulded entablatures and rusticated ball finials, which may
be part of the earlier work.
(Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: pp416-418; VCH: Oxfordshire: Vol IX, pp7-9;
Country life 1949: Vol 105; pp30-32)


Listing NGR: SP4758135602

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.