This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.888 / 51°53'16"N
Longitude: -1.185 / 1°11'5"W
OS Eastings: 456188
OS Northings: 221366
OS Grid: SP561213
Mapcode National: GBR 8XH.M6M
Mapcode Global: VHCX3.DTX0
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 7 December 1966
Last Amended: 9 December 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1300898
English Heritage Legacy ID: 243424
Location: Chesterton, Cherwell, Oxfordshire, OX26
Civil Parish: Chesterton
Built-Up Area: Chesterton
Traditional County: Oxfordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Oxfordshire
Church of England Parish: Chesterton
Church of England Diocese: Oxford
SP52SE CHESTERTON MANOR FARM LANE
6/39 Church of St. Mary
07/12/66 (Formerly listed as Church
of St. Mary Virgin)
Church. Late C12, C13, C14 and C15; restored 1866 by F.C. Penrose. Limestone
rubble, partly rendered, with ashlar dressings; lead roofs. Chancel, aisled
nave, west tower and south porch. Chancel has two 2-light Decorated windows to
south but has C13 lancet low-side windows, cusped to south, and a C13 priests'
door with a renewed shouldered arch; east window is of 1852 and the parapet is
probably C15. Narrow south aisle has a 2-light Decorated window with geometrical
tracery and 3 square-headed C15 windows. South porch is probably C14 but the
entrance arch has been rebuilt though retaining ancient doors; it shelters a
simple C14 doorway. Rendered north aisle is restored, with C19 windows to east
and west, but it retains a blocked chamfered doorway and 2 square-headed
windows, one with Perpendicular tracery. C15 clerestory has square-headed
windows of 2 trefoiled lights. 3-stage C14 tower has a 2-light west window with
reticulated tracery, and has similar bell-chamber openings; the solid parapet
has a frieze of quatrefoils. Interior: chancel has a C14 triple sedilia with
free-standing shafts and ball-flower ornament plus traces of painted decoration;
rectangular double-bowl piscina and aumbry, above, also have some painted
patterning. Roof is dated 1857. Chancel arch has detached shafts with stiff-leaf
capitals. Transitional north arcade of 3-bay nave has pointed arches on round
piers with scalloped capitals; taller C13 south arcade has moulded capitals.
Nave roof with moulded cambered beams and moulded purlins is probably C15/C16,
but aisle roofs are C19. Fittings include a plain tub font with an elaborate C18
wrought-iron finial and arched crane, plus several pieces of C16 and C17
woodwork incorporated into furnishings and a fine C17 communion table with
carved baluster legs. Memorials include a brass to William Maunde (died 1612)
and his wife. Wrought-iron chandelliers have details similar to the font
ironwork and may be contemporary.
(V.C.H.; 0xfordshire, Vol. VI, p.102; Buildings of England: Oxfordshire,
Listing NGR: SP5618821366
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings