History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Thomas

A Grade II Listed Building in Rushwick, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1902 / 52°11'24"N

Longitude: -2.2751 / 2°16'30"W

OS Eastings: 381291

OS Northings: 254700

OS Grid: SO812547

Mapcode National: GBR 0DR.MM2

Mapcode Global: VH92S.J63T

Entry Name: Church of St Thomas

Listing Date: 9 February 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1301020

English Heritage Legacy ID: 153441

Location: Rushwick, Malvern Hills, Worcestershire, WR2

County: Worcestershire

District: Malvern Hills

Civil Parish: Rushwick

Traditional County: Worcestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Crown East, Rushwick

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Powick

Listing Text

RUSHWICK CP A 44
SO 85 SW
Crown East
3/123 Church of St Thomas
- II
Church. Circa 1880. Brick with limestone dressings and slate roof.
Comprises a nave, south porch with bell turret, lower chancel, and north
vestry. Windows have flat heads. West window is of four pointed lights
with engaged shafts. On the north side of the nave are three narrow
single-light windows with shouldered, cinquefoiled, and ogee heads. The
south wall has two windows of two lights. The right-hand one has trefoiled
lights, the left-hand one shouldered lights. Between them is a porch of
timber on a brick and stone base. It has an outer pointed arch formed by
timber braces, a cambered tie-beam, and a boarded king-post truss. The
bellcote is of square plan and is slated below the bell openings, which
are of timber with tracery decoration. Above is a steeply-pitched shingled
roof with iron finial. To the right of the porch is a timber dormer window
with carved bargeboards and four trefoiled lights. In the south wall of the
chancel are two one-light windows, with shouldered and trefoiled heads. The
east window has a pointed head with Geometrical tracery and is of three
pointed lights. Interior: nave roof has scissor-braced rafters and trusses
with arch-braced collars and V-struts. The chancel arch is pointed and
chamfered. The font, said to be found in a farmyard on the site of the
Church of St Cuthbert at Lower Wick, appears to be C12. It is partly restored
and is carved with figures within a continuous arcade of round arches with
chevron decoration separated by pilasters.


Listing NGR: SO8129154700

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.