History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Heslington Anglican and Methodist Church

A Grade II Listed Building in Heslington, York

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.9473 / 53°56'50"N

Longitude: -1.0446 / 1°2'40"W

OS Eastings: 462804

OS Northings: 450559

OS Grid: SE628505

Mapcode National: GBR PQ4S.NQ

Mapcode Global: WHFC9.X1RQ

Entry Name: Heslington Anglican and Methodist Church

Listing Date: 14 March 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1301085

English Heritage Legacy ID: 326166

Location: Heslington, York, YO10

County: York

Civil Parish: Heslington

Built-Up Area: York

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Heslington St Paul

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Heslington

Listing Text

In the entry for:
North Yorkshire
Selby HESLINGTON FIELD LANE
5342
SE 65 SW
(North Side)
Heslington Anglican
and Methodist Church
1/54 II
The description shall be amended to read:
Church. 1858 by J B and W Atkinson for G and A M Lloyd, enlarged by R G Sims with
addition of church rooms to north in 1973. Sandstone ashlar with magnesian limestone
dressings and grey slate roof. West tower, 5-bay nave with south porch, 2-bay chancel.
Gothic Revival. 3-stage tower surmounted by broach spire. Angle buttresses with
off-sets. Moulded plinth. 1st stage band interrupted to west facade by 3-light window
with reticulated tracery to head. Trefoiled lights to north and south. Second stage
band. Twin-light bell-openings under hoodmould. Lucarnes. Nave: angle buttresses.
Plinth. South porch to 2nd bay with pointed entrance, a glazed oak double door in
architrave with nook shafts and roll-moulding to head. Two-light windows with
reticulated tracery under hoodmoulds. Moulded eaves band with gargoyle rainwaterheads.
Ashlar coping to gables. Chancel: angle buttress with set-offs. Plinth. Steps to
4-centred doorway under continuous hoodmould. 2-light windows with traceried heads.
Eaves band. Gargoyle rainwaterhead. Ashlar coping to gable end. 5-light east window
has reticulated tracery. Plain interior. On plaques to tower exterior: 'THIS CHURCH/
REBUILT AND ENLARGED/1858/BY GEORGE AND ALICIA MARIA LLOYD/OF STOCKTON HALL' and 'THIS
CHURCH/WAS REDEVELOPED/AND REFURNISHED/1973/BY THE/HESLINGTO14/CiiURCHES PROJECT'. Pevsner,
York and The East Riding, 1978, p.250.

------------------------------------

NORTH YORKSHIRE
SELBY HESLINGTON FIELD LANE
5342
SE 65 SW
(north side)
1/54 Heslington Anglican and
Methodist Church
GV II
Church. 1858 by J B and W Atkinson for G and AM Lloyd, with church rooms
to north of 1973. Sandstone ashlar with magnesian limestone dressings and
grey slate roof. West tower, 5-bay nave with south porch, 2-bay chancel.
Gothic Revival. 3-stage tower surmounted by broach spire. Angle buttresses
with off-sets. Moulded plinth. 1st stage band interrupted to west facade
by 3-light window with reticulated tracery to head. Trefoiled lights to
north and south. Second stage band. Twin-light bell-openings under
hoodmould. Lucarnes. Nave: angle buttresses. Plinth. South porch to 2nd
bay with pointed entrance a plank door in architrave with nook shafts and
roll-moulding to head. Two-light windows with reticulated tracery under
hoodmoulds. Moulded eaves band with gargoyle rainwaterheads. Ashlar coping
to gables. Chancel: angle buttress with set-offs. Plinth. Steps to 4-
centred priest's doorway under continuous hoodmould. 2-light windows with
traceried heads. Eaves band. Gargoyle rainwaterhead. Ashlar coping to
gable end. 5-light East window has reticulated tracery. Plain interior.
On plaques to tower exterior: 'THIS CHURCH / REBUILT AND ENLARGED / 1858 /
BY GEORGE AND ALICIA MARIA LLOYD / OF STOCKTON HALL' and 'THIS CHURCH / WAS
REDEVELOPED / AND REFURNISHED / 1973 / BY THE / HESLINGTON CHURCH
PROJECT'. Originally dedicated to St. Paul. Pevsner, N., Yorkshire, York
and The East Riding, 1978, p.250.


Listing NGR: SE6280450559

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.