This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9007 / 50°54'2"N
Longitude: -1.1907 / 1°11'26"W
OS Eastings: 457004
OS Northings: 111560
OS Grid: SU570115
Mapcode National: GBR 99G.KRD
Mapcode Global: FRA 86DQ.FY4
Entry Name: The Upper House and Forecourt Wall
Listing Date: 1 September 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1301167
English Heritage Legacy ID: 146320
Location: Wickham, Winchester, Hampshire, PO17
Civil Parish: Wickham
Built-Up Area: Wickham
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Wickham
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
1879/10/3 WINCHESTER ROAD
01-SEP-87 The Upper House and forecourt wall
Large house, converted into six apartments. Mid C18, with early and late C19 extensions. Walls of brickwork in Flemish bond, plinth, rubbed flat arches with stone keys, brick dentilled eaves:
the wings have Flemish bond with blue headers and red dressings, stone cills.
Hipped tile roof, half-hipped to the wings. Symmetrical north-east front elevation with three storeyed centre slightly-forward of two-storeyed wings, 3.3.3 windows. Sashes. Stucco porch with narrow windows at each side, pilasters at each corner, and detached square columns at the front, of a simple Order, with a blocking course. 4-Panelled door. The rear elevation is a complex of different additions, the main feature being a three-storeyed bow of three windows, of similar details to the front: the north wing has two gables and a large conservatory, the south has a gable and a hip of unequal projection: single storeyed flat roofed small block stands forward of these and there is a deep recess immediately south of the bow. At each end of the front, walls extend to enclose a forecourt, which is marked by a low brick wall, with stone capping surmounted by continuous wrought-iron rails, linking the flank walls to the porch.
Listing NGR: SP5087417742
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings