This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1077 / 54°6'27"N
Longitude: -2.4185 / 2°25'6"W
OS Eastings: 372735
OS Northings: 468061
OS Grid: SD727680
Mapcode National: GBR CNKY.68
Mapcode Global: WH95B.T0JS
Entry Name: Hazle Hall
Listing Date: 24 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1301204
English Heritage Legacy ID: 324143
Location: Clapham cum Newby, Craven, North Yorkshire, LA2
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Clapham cum Newby
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Clapham with Keasden St James
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
SD 76 NW
7/5 Hazle Hall
House. C17 with C19 alterations. Coursed rubble, stone dressings, stone slate
roof. 2 storeys, 3 bays. Quoins in central bay indicate that this was the first
building, now contains early C19 central entrance with Doric pilasters and round
head with keystone; narrow flanking lights; C20 glazed door and fixed lights. On
upper floor is C19 window with plain surround and similar windows on each floor
in right-hand bay which is of watershot masonry; C20 casements. Left-hand bay
contains former entrance with chamfered surround, now partly blocked and C20 fixed
light inserted. To left on each floor is 3-light chamfered mullioned window; C20
casements. Right-hand shaped kneeler, gable end coping. Gable end ridge stacks,
that to left is a massive external stack; 2 ridge stacks at former gables of central
bay. At rear projecting gabled wing to left of centre contains ground floor C17
chamfered mullioned window to right, and similar window on upper floor with mullion
now missing; to left is transomed stair window. Central and left-hand bays are
C18 extensions and contain a flat faced mullioned window and a round headed stair
window with impost blocks and keystone. Former home of Edward Gorrel, one-time
Inghamite preacher who was converted to Sandemanianism in the 1764's.
Source, J F Riley The Hammer and the Anvil (Clapham, N Yorks, 1954, p 26.
Listing NGR: SD7273568061
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings