This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1944 / 52°11'39"N
Longitude: -2.9709 / 2°58'15"W
OS Eastings: 333734
OS Northings: 255570
OS Grid: SO337555
Mapcode National: GBR F7.3XC0
Mapcode Global: VH77H.G39M
Entry Name: The Old Maidenhead
Listing Date: 19 August 1953
Last Amended: 16 June 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1301234
English Heritage Legacy ID: 150278
Location: Lyonshall, County of Herefordshire, HR5
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Lyonshall
Built-Up Area: Lyonshall
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Lyonshall
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 35 NW
The Old Maidenhead
(formerly listed as
The Maidenhead Inn)
Former inn, now house. Late C15 or early C16; earlier with with later C17
additional wing; further late C19 and C20 alterations. Timber-framed on
sandstone plinth with wattle-and-daub infill, now completely roughcast rendered;
painted squared sandstone rubble porch; C20 tiled roof. Two parallel ranges
aligned north-west/south-east with gable ends to road; lateral stacks.
Entrance to right gable end and further entrance to left-hand return of left
wing. Two storeys. Entrance front with two gable ends. The earlier left-
hand wing projects forward and has one 2-light C20 casement window and a
canted bay window with casements to the ground floor; gable end of added
wing to right with two 2-light casement windows to upper floor and one 3-light
casement window to right of stone porch with lead-to roof. Three-light case-
ment window to porch to left of square-headed outer doorway; inner half-glazed
door. The interior reveals the moulded bressummer and former jetty on the
eastern side of the earlier wing, now enclosed in a central passageway. The
close-studded timber-framing of the earlier wings is also revealed. (RCHM,
Vol III, p 142).
Listing NGR: SO3373455570
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings