This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2176 / 52°13'3"N
Longitude: -2.8927 / 2°53'33"W
OS Eastings: 339110
OS Northings: 258087
OS Grid: SO391580
Mapcode National: GBR FB.2K3H
Mapcode Global: VH77B.TJ3B
Entry Name: Belfry Approximately 5 Metres North-East of the Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 16 October 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1301249
English Heritage Legacy ID: 150287
Location: Pembridge, County of Herefordshire, HR6
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Pembridge
Built-Up Area: Pembridge
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Pembridge with Moorcourt
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
PEMBRIDGE CP -
SO 3858 - 3958
10/29 Belfry approximately
5 m north-east of the
16.10.67 Church of St Mary
Detached belfry. Early C13 origins, reconstructed during C15 - C16 when
ambulatory was added and internal structure altered and further remodelled
during C17 with addition of the spire. Restorations of 1898, 1950 and 198:2-3.
by Leonard Baart Associates. Timber-framed structure with later added sand-
stone rubble wall to the lower stage, weatherboard cladding; lower hipped and
and upper pyramidal roof covered with stone slates, shingle to spire. Square
tower with later octagonal plan wall enclosing an ambulatory to the ground
stage; entrance to south-west. Three diminishing,stages, final stage forming
spire; clock faces to west and north and loop vents to three sides with a pair
of similar openings to east side. Broad doorway with triple moulding to jambs
and wooden lintel. Interior reveals timber-framed structure of tower; four
massive corner posts survive from the earlier structure with mortices signify-
ing the position of the former internal structure of the bracing. Present
bracing probably dates from the C15 or C16 and has small horizontal and
vertical members with diagonal struts. There are also further reinforcing
braces that have been added at a later date and during periods of restoration.
(RCHM, Vol III, p 161; BoE, p 267).
Listing NGR: SO3910958086
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings