This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 50.9487 / 50°56'55"N
Longitude: -1.6244 / 1°37'27"W
OS Eastings: 426479
OS Northings: 116647
OS Grid: SU264166
Mapcode National: GBR 64B.J3M
Mapcode Global: FRA 76HL.LZG
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 8 October 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1301290
English Heritage Legacy ID: 144303
Location: Bramshaw, New Forest, Hampshire, SO43
District: New Forest
Civil Parish: Bramshaw
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Bramshaw St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Salisbury
SU 21 NE BRAMSHAW JUDDS HILL
2/4 Church of St Peter
Parish church. Mid C13, only west nave survives, transepts and south transept
tower 1828 by J Peniston, chancel rebuilt and vestry late C19. Rubble ironstone
and flint, stone dressings, brick additions, some flint bands, old plain tile
roof, weatherboarded top stage to tower. Plan of C13 chancel and nave, chancel
rebuilt with north vestry C19, small north transept and large south transept with
tower at south end. Chancel east window is triple lancet. On sides single lancets.
North transept has late C19 3 lancet window. Large south transept has pointed
timber windows. South tower has pointed east door, now entrance, and square
weatherboarded belfry with louvred openings on each face and hipped roof. Nave
has C19 light east of north transept, to west external timber staircase to C19
gallery door. On south blocked C13 door with heavy roll-mouldings carried down
as shafts. To west C16 2-light window. West wall, much repaired, has C13 stepped
triple lancet window with C19 trefoil over. Inside chancel all C19 except
north-west door of late C13. Decorated style chancel arch. Plain chamfered arch
to north transept. Nave opens into south transept which has bow-fronted gallery,
reached from staircase in tower. Nave has bow-fronted west gallery dated 1828.
Behind west window is moulded rere-arch under label with heads at springing.
C15 roof with moulded wallplate and cambered tiebeams. Font old but recut.
Tower has C13 treble bell, long and tapered, and has a square lip.
Listing NGR: SP2697314926
Other nearby listed buildings