This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.1453 / 54°8'42"N
Longitude: -2.54 / 2°32'23"W
OS Eastings: 364823
OS Northings: 472294
OS Grid: SD648722
Mapcode National: GBR BNPH.WS
Mapcode Global: WH952.Y2NH
Entry Name: Burton in Lonsdale Endowed First School Schoolmasters House and Garden Wall and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 24 June 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1301402
English Heritage Legacy ID: 324103
Location: Burton in Lonsdale, Craven, North Yorkshire, LA6
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Burton in Lonsdale
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Burton-in-Lonsdale All Saints
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
BURTON IN LONSDALE
SD 67 SW
1/8 Burton in Lonsdale
Endowed First School:
and garden wall and
Formerly schoolmaster's and schoolmistress's houses, now one house. 1853. Ashlar,
slate roof. Gable end to street. Symmetrical composition, 2 storeys, 4 bays.
2 entrances, former master's to left and mistress's to right, both with single-storey
projecting porches. Tudor arched head to moulded surround and moulded stepped
parapet; plank door to left, glazed to right. 2 ground floor 3-light cavetto
mullioned windows; fixed lights. Upper floor sill band with panel below inscribed:
ERECTED AND ENDOWED AT THE SOLE EXPENCE OF
RICHARD THORNTON ESQ
OF THE CITY OF LONDON MERCHANT
ANNO DOMINI 1851;
TO COMMEMORATE THE PLACE OF HIS NATIVITY,
AND FOR THE FUTURE BENEFIT OF
THE POOR CHILDREN OF BURTON,
AND THORNTON IN LONSDALE
On upper floor are 2 outer single light windows with cavetto jambs and splayed
sills, and 2 similar but 2-light windows; casements. In centre is round headed
niche with moulded surround containing bust of Thornton on octagonal pedestal.
In gable is panel inscribed:
FOUNDED AD 1853
Flanked by 2 small trefoil breathers to roof space. Corbelled sexagonal finial
to gable. Gable is stepped to left and right with animal gargoyle on left-and
right-hand return. To left is gable end of boys' school: 2-light lancet window
with recessed panel above inscribed 'PERSEVERANCE'. Gargoyle in form of winged
animal and fleur-de-lis finial to gable. To right is gable end of girls' school
in similar style with panel inscribed 'INDUSTRY'. Garden walls and gatepiers
of rock faced masonry and ashlar coping. Retaining wall to garden has 4 octagonal
pillars and 2 pillars at base of steps. 4 similar gatepiers at entrance to boys'
school and master's house, with a similar arrangement to the mistress's house,
linked by a wall fronting the road.
Listing NGR: SD6482372294
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings