This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.3979 / 54°23'52"N
Longitude: -1.8426 / 1°50'33"W
OS Eastings: 410314
OS Northings: 500278
OS Grid: NZ103002
Mapcode National: GBR HKKL.W7
Mapcode Global: WHC6B.NQRC
Entry Name: Stables and Coach House at Marske Hall
Listing Date: 4 February 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1301417
English Heritage Legacy ID: 322778
Location: Marske, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL11
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Marske
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Downholme and Marske St Michael and All Angels
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
NZ 10 SW MARSKE MARSKE
1455/9/77 Stables and Coach-house at
Former stables for race horses and carriage horses, with coach-house. 1741. Designed by Thomas Worsley, of Hovingham Hall, for John Hutton. Rubble with ashlar dressings, stone slate roofs.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, main elevation 3:1:3 bays. Central bay projects slightly. Ashlar plinth, and walling up to impost level. Ashlar projecting quoins at ends and to central bay. Ground floor: round-arched openings, that in central bay open and with Gibbs surround, the others each with ashlar architrave with tripartite keystone, and continuous impost band, and with recessed ashlar panel with round-arched window with glazing bars, some of the panels having been removed. First floor: 6-pane sash windows with thick glazing bars in eared ashlar architraves with sill brackets. Cornice band, moulded in centre bay. Roof hipped at ends and also over central bay, which supports chamfered rusticated ashlar clock tower with cornice, surmounted by C19 cupola with lead roof and weather-vane. Entrances to stables from inside central archway.
Side returns: 7 bays of recessed arcades.
INTERIOR: stables have round-arched manger recesses.
Inside courtyard, opposite entrance: 3 round-arched coach-houses, the central one taller, in ashlar stonework, and 3 first-floor 6-pane sash windows in plain ashlar surrounds. To sides, 3 even-sized round-arched coach-houses, flanked by windows.
Listing NGR: NZ1031400278
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings