History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Edmund King and Martyr

A Grade II* Listed Building in Marske, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3999 / 54°23'59"N

Longitude: -1.8405 / 1°50'25"W

OS Eastings: 410455

OS Northings: 500501

OS Grid: NZ104005

Mapcode National: GBR HKLK.BJ

Mapcode Global: WHC6B.PNSV

Entry Name: Church of St Edmund King and Martyr

Listing Date: 4 February 1969

Last Amended: 4 December 1987

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1301436

English Heritage Legacy ID: 322773

Location: Marske, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL11

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Marske

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Downholme and Marske St Michael and All Angels

Church of England Diocese: Leeds

Find accommodation in
Marske

Listing Text

NZ 10 SW MARSKE MARSKE

9/72 Church of St Edmund King
and Martyr
(formerly listed as
4.2.69 Church of St Edmund) )

GV II*

Church. C12, C17 and early C19. C17 and C19 work for the Hutton family.
Rubble, partly rendered at west end, stone slate roof to chancel. 3-bay
nave with north aisle, west bellcote and south porch, 2-bay chancel with
north aisle. Porch: ashlar, mid C19. Chamfered Tudor arch with hoodmould,
Hutton coat of arms above, stepped crenellated parapet. West return:
rendered. Inside porch: rendered: on floor, chamfered grave cover, and
resting on it large pieces of sandstone with black-letter inscriptions, also
a Jacobean finial; nearby a broken grave cover with part of a floreated
cross; early C19 panelled door with wrought-iron latch within C12 round-
arched doorway of 2 slightly-chamfered orders, the inner one shafted and
with scalloped capitals, hoodmould. Nave from left: stepped buttress;
ashlar surround to rectangular window west of porch; above porch chamfered
ashlar window, formerly to gallery; to right of porch, chamfered plinth; two
2-light windows of 1683, both with segmental-arched heads to lights and a
circle above in plate tracery, the central mullions fluted, and with moulded
labels resting on cornice capitals, that to west has date 1683 inscribed on
plate tracery and dogtooth motif to heads of lights, that to east has
inscription "IOHN HUTTON SQVIR", and sundial above; stepped buttress;
crenellated parapet; flat roof; ashlar coping to right with gable cross.
Tile west gable rises higher than the present nave roof, with ashlar coping
and bellcote: on its eastside is'"the scar of steeply-pitched roof. West
end: rendered; stepped buttresses at ends and in centre of nave; offset
halfway up wall; gabled bellcote has twin chamfered pointed-arched bell
openings, one with bell; small lancet window in west end of north aisle.
North nave aisle: rendered; blocked round-arched doorway near west end; 2-
light chamfered mullion window. Chancel: early C19; to right, stepped
ashlar buttress with quoins above; in centre, 2-panel priest's door in
chamfered Tudor-arched doorway with hoodmould, flanked by Tudor-arched
windows of 2 trefoiled lights with hoodmoulds; ashlar coping to right with
gable finial. Tudor-arched east window of 3 trefoiled lights, with
hoodmould. North chancel aisle: C13; east window of 2 cinque-cusped lights
in straight-headed openings with hoodmould; 2-light chamfered mullion north
window. Interior: north nave arcade of 3 bays, with octagonal columns with
foliage on capitals, supporting chamfered elliptical arches; the responds
are extended downwards with face stops. C13 chamfered semicircular chancel
arch on responds which have been extended downwards as half-section C17
balusters. North chancel arcade of 2 plastered elliptical arches, with
square abacus capitals to pier and responds. In the north wall, a stop-
chamfered 4-centred-arched tomb recess, and standing in it the reticulated
tracery of a pointed-arched window, all carved out of one piece of stone.
Font: inverted pyramidal octagonal basin, with dogtooth motif on edges, with
crude carving on 4 panels and inscriptions "T H" and "1633", commemorating
M
Timothy Hutton, a merchant of Leeds, who married Margaret Bennet. Roofs are
ceiled. Most of the fittings date from 1830, when John Hutton restored the
fabric, and are of stained pitchpine, including box pews, Hutton family pew
in chancel, and pulpit with reading desk. The altar table and rail, which
has square-section balusters, are of late C17 - early C18 date. Monuments:
in chancel floor, C18 slab to a John Hutton, and on north side of chancel,
John Hutton of Marske esq d1841, by T Smith, London with portrait bust above
a long inscription commemorating his term as High Sheriff of Yorkshire in
1825 and his attributes as a generous patron of learned and scientific
societies, a liberal and improving landlord, a political reformist and a
hospitable host; over north chancel arcade, Rev John Fisher d1808, by W Foss
1821; on south side of chancel, to Timothy Hutton of Marske and Clifton
Castle, d1863, by Skelton of York. Commandment boards on east wall. Above
north nave arcade, royal coat of arms of Queen Victoria dated 1850. In the
top light of more westerly C17 nave window, roundel of painted glass of a
male Hutton and his wife. VCH i, p 103-104.


Listing NGR: NZ1045500501

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.