This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.0596 / 51°3'34"N
Longitude: -1.5842 / 1°35'3"W
OS Eastings: 429234
OS Northings: 129000
OS Grid: SU292290
Mapcode National: GBR 631.G9D
Mapcode Global: FRA 76KB.4LT
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 11 April 1986
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1301531
English Heritage Legacy ID: 140882
Location: East Tytherley, Test Valley, Hampshire, SP5
District: Test Valley
Civil Parish: East Tytherley
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: East Tytherley
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
EAST TYTHERLEY EAST TYTHERLEY
SU 22 NE
3/34 Church of St Peter
Parish church. Mid C13 chancel and nave, heavily restored 1862-3 when transepts
vestry and porch built, N transeptal tower 1898. Rubble flint with stone
dressings, old plain tile roof. Plan of C13 chancel with C19 N vestry, C13 nave
with C19 5 transept and N transeptal tower with N porch against W side. E end
of chancel has 3 C13 lancets, centre one wider. S wall has 2 similar lancets
and in centre and at E offset sloping buttress, prob C19. Low set at W blocked
C13 priests door. To N at E similar lancet, below it steps down to C18 brick vault
below C19 lean-to vestry with EE style door to E and paired trefoiled windows to
N. Tall nave has C19 gable wall and tall offset sloping buttress at E. S wall
has restored C13 lancets, one at E, 3 W of centre with similar buttresses between.
To E of centre gabled S transept with stepped 3 lancet S window, EE door to E.
In centre, partly hidden by buttress, blocked C13 door with keel roll hood. N wall
has similarly arranged lancets and buttresses and to E of centre tower with N 3
lancet window, reset C13 lancet to E, small N lancet to middle stage. Tiled
offset to top stage with paired louvred bell openings and overhanging bell-lip
roof with weathervane. On W gabled porch with wide pointed doorway and to W 2
trefoiled lights. To W large C13 lancet, offset sloping buttresses on corners
and gable wall with sanctus bellcote. Inside chancel wide splays to windows
with chamfered round arches. S and NE lancets have C13 stained glass figures.
NW lancet lights vestry, C19 door beside. E windows have C19 stained glass.
C19 stone and marble reredos, and others fittings and roof. Chancel arch C13 2
chamfered order label on nave side with mask stops, responds half-octagonal with
moulded capitals. Nave windows have wide splays with pointed chamfered arches.
S transept arch copy of chancel arch, N tower arch copy of outer order not carried
down but walled in. Original N doorway in larger round rear arch. At W end below
window, reset from S chancel wall, monument in stone, 1568 to Richard Gifford and
family, panel of kneeling figures of man and 3 bays to L and woman and daughters
to R, all looking to R, male's heads turned, above inscription, each side tapering
pilasters supporting cornice, and gable with achievement. Each side good C18
panelling which like altar rail is said to come from E Tytherley Manor which once
stood beside. C19 fittings, including stone NE pulpit, SE organ, corona lucis and
roof. At W C13 font of large octagonal bowl on round column on octagonal based
VCH; Vol 4; 1911; p517-8.
Listing NGR: SU2931927832
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings