History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Wardour House

A Grade II Listed Building in Whitney-on-Wye, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1205 / 52°7'13"N

Longitude: -3.0704 / 3°4'13"W

OS Eastings: 326811

OS Northings: 247452

OS Grid: SO268474

Mapcode National: GBR F3.8H21

Mapcode Global: VH77M.QYPS

Entry Name: Wardour House

Listing Date: 31 October 1988

Last Amended: 5 November 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1301540

English Heritage Legacy ID: 150671

Location: Whitney-on-Wye, County of Herefordshire, HR3

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Whitney-on-Wye

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Whitney

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Whitney

Listing Text

WHITNEY ON WYE CP WHITNEY ON WYE
SO 24 NE
5/116 Wardour House
- II
Rectory, now house. Circa 1735, with mid-C19 alterations. Coursed dressed
rubble with ashlar dressings and steeply-pitched hipped slate roof, rubble
end chimneys and rear chimney with brick stacks. Two storeys and attic with
dormers; three-course bands at storey levels. 2:1:2 bays; central bay is
gabled and projects slightly. Windows on main storeys have wedge lintels with
raised dropped keyblocks, ashlar sills, and are all 12-pane sashes. There
are two gabled dormers with moulded bargeboards and 4-pane sashes and within
the central gable is a keyed oculus. The central entrance has a flat timber
canopy on straight timber brackets and a 6-panelled door (two upper panels
are glazed). There is a lean-to outshut adjoining the right side elevation
and a continuous lean-to outshut at rear. Built to replace the former
rectory destroyed in the floods of 1735.


Listing NGR: SO2681147452

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.