History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Ipsley Court (North Wing)

A Grade II Listed Building in Redditch, Worcestershire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2977 / 52°17'51"N

Longitude: -1.9061 / 1°54'21"W

OS Eastings: 406501

OS Northings: 266628

OS Grid: SP065666

Mapcode National: GBR 3HV.YQR

Mapcode Global: VH9ZV.XH6X

Entry Name: Ipsley Court (North Wing)

Listing Date: 10 April 1954

Last Amended: 28 November 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1301602

English Heritage Legacy ID: 156490

Location: Redditch, Worcestershire, B98

County: Worcestershire

District: Redditch

Town: Redditch

Electoral Ward/Division: Matchborough

Built-Up Area: Redditch

Traditional County: Warwickshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire

Church of England Parish: Ipsley

Church of England Diocese: Worcester

Find accommodation in
Redditch

Listing Text

REDDITCH B BERRINGTON CLOSE (west side)
SP 06 NE Ipsley

2/14 Ipsley Court (north wing)
(formerly Listed as Ipsley
10.4.54 Court South Wing and North
Wing now used as Stable block) )

GV II


North wing of large house, converted to barn and stable, now offices. Late
C17 (with earlier origins); altered c1724 and mid-C18; restored and remodelled
late C20. Handmade red brick in English bond with steeply-pitched machine-
tiled hipped roof and brick ridge stack. L-plan; main part of roughly six
bays aligned east/west with south-west single-bay return; wagon bay with opposed
round-headed cart entries situated in fourth bay from east end of main part.
Two storeys with chamfered plinth, two-course band between main storeys and
prominent C18 moulded and bracketed eaves cornice, now much restored. Windows
are all C20 casements some of which are inserted in original (or C18) openings;
two double doors with transom lights at east end of south elevation; also blind
round-headed archway with stone impost blocks at east end of north elevation
with inserted double doors and transom light. Round-headed archways in wagon
bay are glazed and have glazed doors. Interior: wagon bay retains two collar
and tie-beam trusses with two struts of probable mid-C18 date. Ipsley Court
is believed to be the remains of the Great House built for Sir John Huband in
C16. The south return of the north wing was originally attached to the central
part of the house which was demolished in 1724 when it was sold to the Reverend
John Colben. In the mid-C18 the surviving north wing and south wing (qv) were
restored by Dr Walter Lander (father of W S Landor, the poet) and the north
wing was altered to form a barn and stable. During the late C20 a new central
section was built linked to the wings by brick walls. (VCH 3, p 123; BoE, p 201).


Listing NGR: SP0650366606

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.