This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1255 / 52°7'31"N
Longitude: -2.8377 / 2°50'15"W
OS Eastings: 342749
OS Northings: 247794
OS Grid: SO427477
Mapcode National: GBR FF.86Q6
Mapcode Global: VH77R.RTPZ
Entry Name: Church of St Mary
Listing Date: 2 September 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1301626
English Heritage Legacy ID: 149757
Location: Brinsop and Wormsley, County of Herefordshire, HR4
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Brinsop and Wormsley
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Brinsop with Wormsley
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
WORMSLEY CP -
SO 44 NW
4/76 Church of St Mary
Parish church, now redundant. C12 and C13 with later alterations, and
chancel rebuilt probably in late C19. Sandstone rubble with sandstone dress-
ings. Welsh slate roofs with tile cresting. Three-bay nave with western
bell-cot and two-bay chancel. West elevation has battered plinth, high-set
lancet in chamfered recess. C13 gabled bell-cot with two trefoiled openings
has battered base which breaks through verge. North elevation of nave has a
chamfered triangular-headed blocked doorway to the right-hand side. Above
and further to the right is a lancet. Left side has chamfered trefoil-headed
light. Chancel has two chamfered lancets. East window has three stepped
lancets, no tracery, but under a two-centred arch with moulded label. South
elevation of chancel has a chamfered lancet to the left and a pair of square-
headed lights to the right. Nave has a lancet to the left of the south porch.
Window to right his two lancets, within a C19 restored chamfered two-centred
arch, and an oculus in the spandrel. South porch, probably early C20, has
coupled rafter roof and a stone bench to east side. South doorway has a
massive lintel above which is a tympanum with recessed lozenges. Interior
has pine single-frame collar trusses, probably late C20, those of chancel
supported from corbels below wall-plate level. Chancel has stained glass in
east window with cross-motifs and foliated margins. North and south windows
have ruby margins but are otherwise plain. On north wall is brass plaque for
Lt Thomas Andrew Greville Rouse-Boughton-Knight, killed aged 19, near Les Boeufs,
France, October 1916, and for Rifleman Edward Charlton, a gamekeeper on the
Wormsley Estate, killed aged 36, at Sequehart, north of St Quentin, October 1918.
Rouse-Boughton-Knight's marker cross is attached to the wall above. Two wrought
iron tripods with coronas, each carry a paraffin lamp, probably late C19 or
early C20. Chancel arch is C13, double-chamfered and two-centred resting on
part octagonal responds and corbels which are probably late C19. Nave has
blocked triangular-headed north doorway. Opposite the south door is another
blocked opening with continuous convex mouldings and a segmental head. To left
of north-east nave window is a bracket with ball-flower ornament. Font is
probably C12 or C13 with tapered cyclindrical base and a round-tapered bowl.
Oak pulpit is C17 with two sides of panelling. Lower two panels each have
enriched arches and are separated from upper panels, which have arabesques,
by guilloche ornament. Front of oak desk has four panels with moulded margins,
probably late C17. The Church of St Mary is maintained by the Redundant Churches
Fund. (BoE, p 326; RCHM, Vol III, p 214).
Listing NGR: SO4274947794
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings