History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Llanhedry Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Brilley, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1439 / 52°8'38"N

Longitude: -3.0595 / 3°3'34"W

OS Eastings: 327594

OS Northings: 250043

OS Grid: SO275500

Mapcode National: GBR F3.75QC

Mapcode Global: VH77M.XCFT

Entry Name: Llanhedry Farmhouse

Listing Date: 19 August 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1301669

English Heritage Legacy ID: 150566

Location: Brilley, County of Herefordshire, HR3

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Brilley

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Brilley with Michaelchurch

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Whitney

Listing Text

BRILLEY CP -
SO 25 SE
2/13 Llanhedry Farmhouse
19.8.53
- II
Farmhouse, now divided into two houses. C14 or C15 origins, altered C17,
mid-C19 and late C20. Timber-framed, partly cased in coursed painted
rubble, part weatherboarded with slate and corrugated metal roofs, hipped
at east end and three rebuilt brick ridge stacks. Originally a central
hall range of probably four framed bays aligned east/west with cross-wings
at each end. The west cross-wing survives and has a large external rubble
chimney with tiled offsets and a rendered brick stack in the south-east
angle. The east cross-wing has gone but there is a two-bay service wing
to the rear of the east bay with an external chimney and large diagonal
rubble chimney on the east side which may represent part of it. Part single
storey and attic with dormers, part two storeys. Framing: not visible
externally but the south gable end of the cross-wing has a jettied first
floor on shaped brackets. North front elevation: hall has two buttresses
probably added in the C19. Windows are mainly C20 casements. Hall part has
a 4-light and a 2-light window on both floors. The main entrance adjacent
to the cross-wing has a lean-to rubble porch with a catslide roof and round-
headed archway and there is large door within, possibly C17. Cross-wing
has a lean-to outshut at the gable end and two 2-light C19 first floor case-
ments in the angle. Interior: only partly inspected but some substantial
wall-framing survives and also a C17 doorway with a shallow triangular head.
There is recorded to be at least one cruck truss surviving inside and a C17
ceiling in the former hall. (RCHM, III, p 24, item 6; BoE, p 86; Alcock, NW:
CBA Cruck Catalogue, 1981).


Listing NGR: SO2759450043

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.