History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Great House and Flanking Walls Attached to North and South

A Grade II Listed Building in Canon Pyon, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1376 / 52°8'15"N

Longitude: -2.8016 / 2°48'5"W

OS Eastings: 345234

OS Northings: 249114

OS Grid: SO452491

Mapcode National: GBR FG.7HPB

Mapcode Global: VH77S.DJ8N

Entry Name: Great House and Flanking Walls Attached to North and South

Listing Date: 2 September 1966

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1301736

English Heritage Legacy ID: 149692

Location: Canon Pyon, County of Herefordshire, HR4

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Canon Pyon

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Canon Pyon

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Burghill

Listing Text

CANON PYON CP -
SO 44 NE
5/11 Great House and
flanking walls attached
2.9.66 to north and south
GV II
House. GS/1737 on rainwater heads. Brick with limestone and sandstone
dressings. Hipped Welsh slate roof and brick stacks. T-plan with garden
front to west. Cellar, two storeys and attics. West elevation has 3:1:3
windows, glazing bar sashes, the outer ones in full-height bows and gauged
brick heads. Stone plinth, plat band and moulded cornice beneath flat coping.
Dated lead rainwater heads to each corner. Central Doric porch with two
unfluted columns. Frieze with lozenges containing paterae in metopes. Cornice
has projections on soffit above guttae and triglyphs. Doorway has fluted
architrave, enriched fanlight. Glazed two-leaved doors, probably late C19.
Projecting range to east has dentilled brick eaves cornice and two entries,
both with columns. Interior has re-positioned three-flight C18 oak open
well staircase with turned balusters and carved tread ends. Flanking brick
walls extend about 15 yards north and south. Each has a doorway that to the
south with wrought iron gate. It is possible that the bows are not of 1737
date; if they are (the brickwork is coursed in) this is a very early example
of a type of facade design later in the century to become very popular. (BoE,
p 99; RCHM, Vol II, p 47).


Listing NGR: SO4523449114

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.