History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hill End Farmhouse with Adjoining Hop Kilns

A Grade II* Listed Building in Weston Beggard, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.07 / 52°4'11"N

Longitude: -2.616 / 2°36'57"W

OS Eastings: 357871

OS Northings: 241469

OS Grid: SO578414

Mapcode National: GBR FQ.CMQW

Mapcode Global: VH85Q.L7WH

Entry Name: Hill End Farmhouse with Adjoining Hop Kilns

Listing Date: 20 October 1952

Last Amended: 11 October 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1301761

English Heritage Legacy ID: 155048

Location: Weston Beggard, County of Herefordshire, HR1

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Weston Beggard

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Weston Beggard

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Lugwardine

Listing Text

WESTON BEGGARD CP WESTON BEGGARD LANE
SO 54 SE
2/179 Hill End Farmhouse
with adjoining hop kilns
20.10.52 (Formerly listed as Hill End
Farmhouse
GV II*
Farmhouse. Dated 1601 with later C17 additions and further additions of
C18 and C20; mid-C19 hop kilns. Coursed and dressed sandstone rubble
with ashlar dressings, timber-framed slightly later addition with wattle-
and-daub infill and sandstone plinth completely encased with render; sand-
stone rubble C18 outbuilding now incorporated into body of house by C20
stone and brick additions and alterations, tiled roof. Earlier house,
single room in depth with stair turret and porch, aligned north/south
with slightly later timber-framed addition adjoining to north end, further
additions to south-west obscuring former porch extend to adjoin with C18
building to north-west terminating in pair of mid-C19 circular hop kilns.
South front: two storeys, attic and cellar, gable end of earlier building
to right with raised verges and 3-light stone-mullioned window in gable,
4-light mullioned and transomed window below and 3-light mullioned window
to cellar, stair turret to recessed right hand return with Tudor arched
doorway and 2-light stone-mullioned windows to right hand return of turret.
C20 addition to left with stone-mullioned windows echoing those of original
house. Large stack with three diagonal-plan brick shafts. Interior reveals
former porch to south-west with semi-circular-headed archway with imposts
and moulded jambs, inner Tudor arched doorway, ovolo moulded ceiling beams
throughout with fine cross-beamed ceiling with ovolo mouldings and elaborate
stops to former first floor room, now sub-divided, moulded architraves to
doorways, winder staircase in turret with polygonal-sided newel. Former
outbuilding to north-west now forming part of kitchen on ground floor with
interrupted tie-beam trusses and swept bracing to collar.


Listing NGR: SO5787141469

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.