History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hauxwell Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in West Hauxwell, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3353 / 54°20'7"N

Longitude: -1.7526 / 1°45'9"W

OS Eastings: 416181

OS Northings: 493335

OS Grid: SE161933

Mapcode National: GBR JL69.CN

Mapcode Global: WHC6S.19P9

Entry Name: Hauxwell Hall

Listing Date: 13 February 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1301772

English Heritage Legacy ID: 321932

Location: West Hauxwell, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL8

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: West Hauxwell

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
West Hauxwell

Listing Text

WEST HAUXWELL HAUXWELL HALL
SE 19 SE
8/47 Hauxwell Hall
13.2.67
GV II*
Country house. Late C17 and mid-late C18. C17 phase for Sir Marmaduke
Dalton. Coursed sandstone, part rendered, and ashlar, with Welsh slate
roofs. Central C17 3-storey block altered C18, flanked by C18 2-storey
ranges. North front: coursed sandstone with ashlar dressings. 2:3:3:2
bays. Main 3-storey, 3-bay range: ashlar plinth. Central part-glazed door
below overlight with ovoid panel of Elizabethan heraldic enamelled glass, in
chamfered quoined surround with cornice supporting 2 ball finials. 15-pane
sash windows with 12-pane unequally-hung sashes to 2nd floor. Ashlar
parapet. Hipped roof. Ashlar stack between bays 2 and 3. 2-storey range
to left: ashlar plinth, quoins. Sash windows with glazing bars. Ashlar
parapet. Hipped roof. 2-storey range to right: ashlar plinth. 15-pane
sash windows. Roof hipped to right. Ashlar stack between bays 2 and 3. 2-
storey range further to right: part-glazed door in ashlar surround; sash
windows with glazing bars; hipped roof. South, garden front: ashlar, left-
hand block rendered. 3:3:3 bays. Central 3-storey block breaks forward:
chamfered rusticated quoins. Central part-glazed leaved doors below 2-light
overlight with ovoid panels set in quarries within a pedimented Tuscan
doorcase. On either side, sash windows, with glazing bars in lower sash,
and with ovoid panels set in quarries in upper sash. Band. First floor:
sashes with glazing bars. Second floor: 6-pane sash windows. Cornice.
Parapet. Corniced central stack. Flanked by 2-storey blocks with sash
windows with glazing bars and bands; cornices and parapets as central block.
Ground-floor windows of left-hand block have ovoid panels of Elizabethan
heraldic enamelled glass. Further to left, recessed 2-bay range of dressed
stone has sash windows with glazing bars in ashlar surrounds, parapet and
firemark of Yorkshire Insurance Company. To far left, lower continuation of
same range, with 2 sash windows below 9-pane unequally-hung sashes.
Parapet. East front: ashlar. 4 bays. Continues style of south front. One
lst-floor sash has upper ovoid panel. Interior: below central block and
east range, vaulted cellars. Date "1672" on stone near first doorway of
cellar. Within cellar, 2 medieval doorways, one with ogee chamfer and
chamfer stops to jambs and a bolection moulding to lintel, the other with
bolection moulding to jambs. Back stairs, above entrance to cellar, have
late C17 decorative turned balusters to first floor, splat balusters to
second floor. Entrance hall: open-well staircase of late C17 decorative
turned balusters in oak, painted white. In east range, to north, morning
room of c.1810, with large fireplace, minstrels' gallery, and a ceiling
divided into square panels, with moulded ribs, perhaps of C17. To south,
the drawing room of early-mid C18, with Vitruvian scroll over
fireplace, fluted Ionic pedimented doorcase with bayleaf garland on
pulvinated frieze, eared panelling and fine modillion cornice. At south
side of central block, the dining room with deep Doric frieze, perhaps of
c.1810. On south side of west wing, the Library has imported C17 panelling
with incised frieze; thick astragals. On first floor, above it, the
tapestry room with C18 overmantel and cornice. West wings have queen post
roofs. VCH i, p. 246.


Listing NGR: SE1618193335

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.