History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Paradise

A Grade II* Listed Building in Melbecks, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.3765 / 54°22'35"N

Longitude: -2.0288 / 2°1'43"W

OS Eastings: 398229

OS Northings: 497884

OS Grid: SD982978

Mapcode National: GBR GK8T.LX

Mapcode Global: WHB59.T838

Entry Name: Paradise

Listing Date: 21 April 1986

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1301785

English Heritage Legacy ID: 322047

Location: Melbecks, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL11

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Melbecks

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Feetham

Listing Text

MELBECKS LOW ROW
SD 99 NE
(south side)
15/106 Paradise
GV II*
House and manufactory in equal halves under 1 roof. Dated 1653 with C18
alterations. Rubble on boulder plinth with ashlar surrounds to
openings, stone slate roof. 3 storeys, added rear outshut. House:
3 bays. Central C20 panelled door in C17 quoined surround with recessed
panels on lintel inscribed 'I F' '1653'. To left, 3-light chamfered-
mullion window with moulded surround containing 8-pane casements. To
right of door and on upper floors, sash windows with glazing bars in
plain surrounds. On right, added bay with on each floor a 2-light flat-
faced mullion window containing small sashes. On left, manufactory: in
left corner, boarded door in plain stone surround; in right corner, C20
boarded door in hollow-chamfered stone surround. C18 mullioned windows:
ground floor: three 2-light, one 4-light, with casements; first floor:
two 2-lights, one 3-light, 1 single light; second floor: three 2-light,
two 3-light; upper floors with side-sliding sashes. Shaped kneelers,
ashlar copings overall; stacks at ends, 1 bay in from both ends, and in
centre. Chimney-breast projects from right return of house. In right
end of outshut 2 cart-sheds each with segmental arch of ashlar voussoirs
with keystone, 1 with double boarded doors, 1 blocked. Interior: stone
stairs in rear outshut of manufactory. C18 roof timbers. A major
centre of the Swaledale knitting industry, belonging to the Fryer, then
the Parke families. M Hartley, J Ingilby, The Yorkshire Dales, 1963,
p 259.


Listing NGR: SD9822997884

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.