This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.2495 / 51°14'58"N
Longitude: -1.1885 / 1°11'18"W
OS Eastings: 456733
OS Northings: 150344
OS Grid: SU567503
Mapcode National: GBR 957.LC2
Mapcode Global: VHD06.CV1K
Entry Name: Church of St. Leonard
Listing Date: 26 April 1957
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1301811
English Heritage Legacy ID: 138815
Location: Oakley, Basingstoke and Deane, Hampshire, RG23
District: Basingstoke and Deane
Civil Parish: Oakley
Built-Up Area: Oakley (Basingstoke and Deane)
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Oakley with Wootton St Lawrence
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
SU 55 SE OAKLEY AND DEANE RECTORY ROAD
26.4.57 Church of St Leonard
Early C16, 1869. A medieval church rebuilt by Archbishop Warham in the early C16, and again by T H Wyatt in 1869, when the chancel was rebuilt, the north aisle added, and the tower virtually rebuilt. The chancel has north and south 'chapels' at its western half, separated by 2 moulded pointed arches resting on short coupled marble columns, with Decorated floral caps and moulded bases; there is a small piscina on each side in the eastern half, and a lancet above a sedilia on the south side; the chancel arch is stepped and fully-moulded, resting on decorated brackets on either side of a short marble column on a bracket. The south aisle has the form of its C16 addition to the original church, with 3 coupled windows, a canopied tomb with a brass (of Robert Warham and his wife), and at the west end a detached altar tomb with 2 recumbent alabaster figures (a Knight and Lady of circa 1520); the 2 arches are unequal, the western being
pointed (transitional) on round columns with cushion caps, the other (Perpendicular)having a ½-hexagon form with recessed cusped panels. The north aisle is plain with south aisle features, and 2 equal pointed arches on circular columns with moulded caps and bases. The tower arch is C15 and also the west door. The pulpit is of coloured stonework and the font is a 'Norman Revival' massive structure. The chancel ceiling is panelled and the nave has exposed timbers with arch braces and short hammer beams.
Externally, the roofing is of steep red tiling. The walling is flint with stone
dressings, the aisles having parapets and buttresses. The prominent tower has a
Perpendicular style, a tall octagonal staircase, stepped diagonal buttresses and a crenellated parapet, all of the restoration period. A Victorian church of orthodox form with a finely-detailed finish.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings