History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Church House

A Grade II* Listed Building in Ledbury, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0371 / 52°2'13"N

Longitude: -2.4213 / 2°25'16"W

OS Eastings: 371196

OS Northings: 237721

OS Grid: SO711377

Mapcode National: GBR FZ.FVBL

Mapcode Global: VH860.Z294

Entry Name: The Church House

Listing Date: 18 September 1953

Last Amended: 28 October 1996

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1301821

English Heritage Legacy ID: 151828

Location: Ledbury, County of Herefordshire, HR8

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Ledbury

Built-Up Area: Ledbury

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Ledbury

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Ledbury

Listing Text

SO 7137 NE
CHURCH LANE
(South side)
2/18
The Church House
18/9/53


GV II*

Circa 1600. Timber-framed with close-set studding. 4 gables with carved bargeboards. 2 storeys cellar and attics. 1st and 2nd floors project slightly with moulded bressumers and shaped brackets. 3-light attic casements. On 1st floor 3 original windows with transoms, moulded frames and mullions. One of these forms a semi-octagonal projection with gable with pendants, all on modern brackets over ground floor doorway. Entrance passage on right has moulded side posts. L-shaped on plan with timber-framed wing at rear. The east side is timber framed with wide panels brick filled. Interior: north east room has part of ceiling enriched with lozenge shaped plaques with devices of birds, elephants etc. Next room to west lined with original panelling. RCHM Vol II page 112.

Ivy Cottage, Mavollry, The Old Tannery and Cottage occupied by Mrs Williams, Church House and Abbots Lodge form a group

Listing NGR: SO7119637721

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.