This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.1597 / 52°9'34"N
Longitude: -1.9661 / 1°57'58"W
OS Eastings: 402414
OS Northings: 251266
OS Grid: SP024512
Mapcode National: GBR 3KJ.FS2
Mapcode Global: VHB0D.VZY8
Entry Name: Church of All Saints
Listing Date: 30 July 1959
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1301843
English Heritage Legacy ID: 148318
Location: Church Lench, Wychavon, Worcestershire, WR11
Civil Parish: South Lenches
Built-Up Area: Church Lench
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Church Lench
Church of England Diocese: Worcester
SP 05 SW CHURCH LENCH CP MAIN STREET (north side)
8/45 Church of All Saints
Parish church. C12, altered and extended C14 and C15, restored 1852-3 by
F Preedy and 1887-8. Lias with ashlar dressings, stone slate and slate roof.
C12 nave, C14 and C15 south aisle; late C15 west tower, C14 chancel.
West tower: three stages, top stage offset, diagonal buttresses, crenellated
parapet with corner pinnacles, belfry has square-headed louvred windows; square-
headed windows to ground stage. Nave and south aisle: south wall: four bays,
C19 south porch in west bay with 2-centred head to outer openings; south door:
2-centred head of two orders, outer roll moulded, with restored respond and
shafts; next bay has window with square head and two trefoiled lights, then
two square-headed windows with square labels; C15 clerestorey: three windows:
two trefoiled lights under 4-centred head; east window of aisle: three trefoiled
lights under 4-centred head; north wall: C12 north door with semi-circular head,
plain impost blocks; large central window of C15 with three trefoiled lights
under 4-centred-head, two windows to clerestorey. Chancel: rebuilt C14, heavily
restored mid-C19, three bays: south wall: central window has two cinquefoiled
lights, flanking windows two trefoiled lights all under square heads; central
window over a square-headed door between two buttresses (all restored); east
window: three trefoiled lights under segmental head with label; north vestry/
organ chamber mid-C19. Interior: nave: tower arch segmental pointed of two
chamfered orders; arcade to south aisle of three bays, the east bay a flattened
4-centred arch of two chamfered orders, other two bays have 2-centred arches
with two hollow moulded orders continuous down piers; chancel arch: segmental
pointed of two chamfered orders; corbel to support statue in east wall of south
aisle; respond of arcade has stone statue canopy with nodding ogee; rood loft
stair in thickness of wall at north-east corner of nave. Roofs: all C19:
nave: four bays: king-post trusses with trefoil panels in spandrels; chancel:
three bays, arch braced collar trusses, C14 style, with C19 painting. Fittings:
glass: C15 fragments in tympanum of blocked north door, the rest of the fittings
are mid- to late C19. (VCH 3, pp 48-49; BoE, p 120).
Listing NGR: SP0241451266
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings