This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.4759 / 54°28'33"N
Longitude: -1.584 / 1°35'2"W
OS Eastings: 427053
OS Northings: 509024
OS Grid: NZ270090
Mapcode National: GBR KJCP.V9
Mapcode Global: WHC62.MRXL
Entry Name: Former Coach House of Clervaux Castle
Listing Date: 29 January 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1301880
English Heritage Legacy ID: 322674
Location: Croft-on-Tees, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL2
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Croft-on-Tees
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Croft
Church of England Diocese: Leeds
CROFT-ON-TEES JOLBY LANE
NZ 20 NE
(south side, off)
8/35 Former coach-house of
Coach-house, now garages and outbuildings. c1843. By Ignatius Bonomi and
John Augustus Cory for Sir William Chaytor. Sandstone rubble with ashlar
dressings, Westmorland slate roof. 3 and 2 storeys, 9 bays. North-east
elevation: quoins; carriageway to left of centre with timber lintel,
probably an alteration; on first floor, 9 slit vents treated as loop-holes
with ashlar quoined jambs; first bay rises as quoined tower with
battlemented parapet; other bays of 2 storeys with battlemented parapet
behind which falls monopitch roof. South-west side: concrete lintel to
carriageway, other former coach-house openings have timber lintels below
segmental relieving arches; some with board leaved garage doors; chamfered
ashlar slit vents to hayloft above, and shuttered pitching hole; quarter-
round corbels carry gutter; to right, tower has quoined doorway with leaved
doors, and ladder to hayloft; clock on top storey of tower. The building
was part of a neo-Romanesque mansion built 1842-3, and demolished in 1951.
The nearby stables have been converted into a bungalow. H Colvin,
A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840, (1978), p 123.
Listing NGR: NZ2705309024
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings