History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Flatts Farmhouse, Garden Walls and Railings

A Grade II Listed Building in Carlton Town, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2572 / 54°15'26"N

Longitude: -1.9042 / 1°54'15"W

OS Eastings: 406340

OS Northings: 484623

OS Grid: SE063846

Mapcode National: GBR HM46.KN

Mapcode Global: WHB5Y.Q8G5

Entry Name: Flatts Farmhouse, Garden Walls and Railings

Listing Date: 13 February 1967

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1301965

English Heritage Legacy ID: 322565

Location: Carlton Town, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL8

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: Carlton Town

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
Carlton

Listing Text

CARLTON TOWN VILLAGE STREET
SE 0684-0784
(north side)
16/83 Flatts Farmhouse, garden
walls and railings
13.2.67
GV II

Farmhouse, garden walls and railings. Early - mid C18 house, with earlier
origins; C19 railings. Coursed rubble, stone slate roof; cast-iron
railings. House: 2 storeys with rear 2-storey outshut, 2:1 bays. Left
2 bays: quoins; central part-glazed 4-panel door in raised-quoin surround
with wooden canopy supported on wrought-iron brackets; above door a large
triangular-headed ashlar panel with inscription, dated 1861, commemorating
Henry Constantine, the Coverdale Bard; 3-light flat-faced mullion windows in
ashlar architraves; shaped kneeler and ashlar coping to left; end stacks,
that to left corniced. To right, bay slightly recessed; quoins to right;
16-pane sash windows in flush ashlar surrounds; end stack to right. Left
return, in outshut: on each floor the surround of a 2-light double-chamfered
mullion window. In front of house, swept side walls of garden of coursed
rubble with slab coping; along front of garden, low ashlar round-arched base
supporting railings with fleurs-de-lys finials and central gate; chamfered
rusticated ashlar gate piers and terminals of side walls with pyramidal
caps. Henry Constantine was a prosperous landowner, Coverdale's overseer
for rates and tithes, and the founder of several charities. He had the
inscription on the house put up himself, and died in 1869 aged 72. The
Dalesman, vol 47, no 11 (February 1986), pp 947-8.


Listing NGR: SE0634084623

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.