This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.855 / 51°51'17"N
Longitude: -2.7434 / 2°44'36"W
OS Eastings: 348897
OS Northings: 217634
OS Grid: SO488176
Mapcode National: GBR FK.T640
Mapcode Global: VH86M.DMKV
Entry Name: The Cwm, Front Terrace and Retaining Wall to South-West
Listing Date: 3 July 1985
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1301984
English Heritage Legacy ID: 153949
Location: Llanrothal, County of Herefordshire, NP25
County: County of Herefordshire
Civil Parish: Llanrothal
Traditional County: Herefordshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire
Church of England Parish: Welsh Newton and Llanrothal
Church of England Diocese: Hereford
SO 41 NE LLANROTHAL CP LLANROTHAL
4/155 The Cwm, Front Terrace
and retaining wall to
Shooting box, now farmhouse. c.1830s, on site of and incorporating part of a
demolished C17 house. Squared sandstone rubble with ashlar dressings; low-
pitched hipped slate roofs with wide eaves. Roughly T-plan facing South, with
2 extensions to West, one (to South-West) being a C17 survival, the other (to
North-West, from the stem of the T) being a long kitchen range. Informal front.
Two storeys, cellar and attic, lit from rear; 2:3 windows,
glazing bar sashes,the 2 left-hand ones in a hipped break, blank to 1st floor
right; stuccoed portico in angle with fluted Doric columns in antis, arched
doorway with plain fanlight and panelled door. Mipped bay window to right hand
return and lower possibly late C18 rear range with arched stair window at join
Set-back to left of front is a significant survival of the earlier house - a
single-storey-and-attic cottage (?one-time kitchen wing) now stone-clad and
with 2 gabled half-dormers and Gothick glazing and doorway to front; 3-light
wood-mullioned ovolo-moulded window (no glass grooves) survives to rear. Inside
are 2 pairs of upper crucks formerly with a collar purlin, evidence of former
newel stair to right of large fire-place, evidence also that the masonry is a
secondary cladding; heavy cross-beam and chamfered joists; the ground rises
steeply to West and there is a gable entry to first floor. Attached to South-
West corner of this survival is a short stretch of retaining wall about 10 yards
long and about 14 feet high to base with bee-boles on its North-West side.
Broad terrace in front of house to lend air of gentility.
Site of one-time Headquarters of Jesuit Mission in South Tales established by
1600 and by 1622 of the clandestine Jesuit Province; in 1678, as a result of
the Titus Oates Plot, raided and disbanded by the Bishop of Hereford. (Foley
history of the Jesuits in England( ) Vol.IV p.462ff; Duncomb Vol.VI (Hundred
of Wormelow); RCHM Vol.II p.172).
Listing NGR: SO4889717634
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings