History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Chantry House

A Grade II Listed Building in West Witton, North Yorkshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.288 / 54°17'16"N

Longitude: -1.9169 / 1°55'0"W

OS Eastings: 405508

OS Northings: 488046

OS Grid: SE055880

Mapcode National: GBR HL1V.SM

Mapcode Global: WHB5R.JHF2

Entry Name: Chantry House

Listing Date: 24 January 1986

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1301990

English Heritage Legacy ID: 321846

Location: West Witton, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL8

County: North Yorkshire

District: Richmondshire

Civil Parish: West Witton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Find accommodation in
West Witton

Listing Text

SE 08 NE WEST WITTON CHANTRY

13/98 Chantry House

- II


Farmhouse. Dated 1766, possibly earlier in core. For Clarkson family.
Rubble, artificial slate roof, stone slate roof to wing. T-shaped plan,
main range facing south-west, with rear wing at right angles. 2 storeys, 4
bays. Quoins. In bay 3, C20 projecting gabled porch over part-glazed door
in ashlar surround with waved top to lintel and inscription on fascia
C
"17IA66". C20 sash windows with glazing bars in ashlar surrounds.
Shaped kneelers, ashlar copings. End stacks. Left return shows older,
lower roofline. Right return has blocked single-light window in gable.
South-east side of rear range: round-headed landing window with thick
glazing bars, radial at top, in ashlar surround with imposts and keystone; 2
bays of sash windows with glazing bars in ashlar surrounds. Shaped kneeler,
ashlar coping to right. Stacks between bays 1 and 2 and at end right.
Interior: squat doors of six fielded panels, staircase with turned
balusters. The house is believed to have formed a cell of Jervaulx Abbey.
In 1720, the house called Chantry was licensed as a place of meeting for
Quakers. VCH i, p. 287; H. Speight, Romantic Richmondshire (1897), p. 413.


Listing NGR: SE0550888046

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.