This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.1729 / 55°10'22"N
Longitude: -1.6954 / 1°41'43"W
OS Eastings: 419496
OS Northings: 586552
OS Grid: NZ194865
Mapcode National: GBR J8LM.RG
Mapcode Global: WHC2Q.X7TQ
Entry Name: Bolland Hall
Listing Date: 5 April 1988
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1302025
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238915
Location: Morpeth, Northumberland, NE61
Civil Parish: Morpeth
Built-Up Area: Morpeth
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Morpeth
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
MORPETH POTTERY BANK
22/360 Bolland Hall
School, now warehouse. 1860 for Mrs Bolland, widow of a Morpeth curate. Light red and
cream brick in alternate bands of 4 courses; some stone dressings. Lakeland slate
roof with tile ridge and brick stacks. Gothic style with 5-gabled front. 2 storeys
and attic, 5 bays, defined by slope-topped, banded buttresses, paired at right; bays
differ slightly in width. Enlarged square-headed cart entrance at ground floor
right. 6-panel door in centre bay in wide partly-blocked 2-centred-arched opening
with banded brick voussoirs. Other openings similar, narrower in second and third
bays. Downstairs openings partly blocked and glazing changed. Upstairs each arch
holds 3 stepped lancets in solid panels; top left window altered. Eaves broken
by a gable above each bay, stone-coped with cross finial, and oculus within. Broken
eaves gutter; lowered end stacks. 4 tie-rod ends at right under eaves.
Historical note: Bolland Hall was built as a day industrial school for the "half-
neglected children on the north side of Newgate Street ......". It became a National
Girls' School, and was amalgamated with St James's Church of England Schools in 1885.
Acquired by the Presbyterians it was used as Mission School and Sunday School until
1937. Included for historical interest.
Listing NGR: NZ1949686552
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings