This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 54.3763 / 54°22'34"N
Longitude: -2.1392 / 2°8'21"W
OS Eastings: 391055
OS Northings: 497880
OS Grid: SD910978
Mapcode National: GBR FKHT.NZ
Mapcode Global: WHB58.38LC
Entry Name: Church of Saint Mary
Listing Date: 7 December 1966
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1302046
English Heritage Legacy ID: 322232
Location: Muker, Richmondshire, North Yorkshire, DL11
County: North Yorkshire
Civil Parish: Muker
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire
SD 99 NW MUKER MUKER
14/147 Church of Saint Mary
GV II *
Church. 1580, C18, restored 1891. Rubble, stone slate roof. West tower,
nave and chancel under 1 roof, south porch. Tower: possibly 1580. 3
stages. Quoins. On ground floor, a vent with vertical iron bar. 2-light
chamfered-mullion belfry openings. Bench-mark on west face. Lead rainwater
head cast with "R METCALFE, I CALVERT, C-WARDENS 1793". Porch: dated 1849
on kneeler. Coursed stone. Sundial. Inner doorway: 4-centred arch,
chamfered, with inscription "LW 1719 IP". Nave and chancel: substantially
of 1580. 3 and 2 bays. 2-light chamfered-mullion window to south-west.
Other windows C19, of 2 trefoil-headed lights with hoodmoulds. East window:
3 trefoil-headed lights under hoodmould. North side has C18 lead rainwater
head. Interior: beaded wall plate and roof timbers substantially of 1580,
but raised from steeper thatched pitch in 1761. Font: C19, round basin on
cylindrical shaft and base. On south wall of sanctuary, a small stone
inscribed "SG 1769". Against north wall of sanctuary, vertical slab
commemorating Mr James of the parish of Redrith, Cornwall, d.1746. South
wall of chancel, memorial to Alexander Calvert of Richmond, land agent and
commissioner under Inclosure Acts, d.1834. North wall of nave, memorial to
Edmund Alderson Knowles of Low Row d.1835 by G Green, Newcastle, and board
painted with rules for use of Parish Hearse, 1836. A rare example of a new
church in 1580. E Cooper, Muker: The Story of a Yorkshire Parish (1948).
Listing NGR: SD9105597880
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Source links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings