History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of the Holy Trinity

A Grade II* Listed Building in Preston Wynne, County of Herefordshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1158 / 52°6'56"N

Longitude: -2.6458 / 2°38'44"W

OS Eastings: 355878

OS Northings: 246580

OS Grid: SO558465

Mapcode National: GBR FP.8SD2

Mapcode Global: VH85J.324W

Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity

Listing Date: 26 January 1967

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1302088

English Heritage Legacy ID: 154027

Location: Preston Wynne, County of Herefordshire, HR1

County: County of Herefordshire

Civil Parish: Preston Wynne

Traditional County: Herefordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Herefordshire

Church of England Parish: Felton and Preston Wynne

Church of England Diocese: Hereford

Find accommodation in
Preston Wynne

Listing Text

SO 54 NE PRESTON WYNNE CP -

5/62 Church of the Holy Trinity

-
26.1.67
GV II*


Parish church. "1727" incised on keystone over west door, consecrated 1730,
altered in mid-C19. Sandstone, ashlar, plain tiled roof. Provincial Baroque-
style west tower, four-bay gothicised nave. West tower: three stages,
embattled top with pyramidal corner pinnacles. Oeil-de-boeuf to west side
at first stage, another to south side between first and second stages; semi-
circular headed.arch to north in first stage; bold string course separates
top from second stage; top stage has semi-circular headed arches with dropped
keystones, one each to south and north and a round-headed lancet to east and
north., Nave: formerly had four semi-circular headed windows with dropped
keystones to each side (scars visible in south, but not north wall),
replaced in mid-C19 by two 2-light trefoiled windows and two lancets to
south and only two windows to north. Three-light mid-C19 east window. Entry
from west by double early C18 doors each having five fielded panels under
segmental moulded arch with dropped keystone set beneath a cornice supported
by two pilasters. Interior: C19 arch-brace collar trusses supported from
corbels; c18 communion table and contemporary font with hexagonal basin;
moulded stem and base; front C19 pews inscribed with names of important
parochial residences, the rear ones being numbered for poorer persons of
the parish according to conditions specified on board under tower. C18
board also under tower gives list of benefactors towards the building of the
s
church, eg "Most Noble Ja Duke of Chandos 5.5.0", under a painting of the
church, by Wick of Hereford as it then was. The building is conspicuous
in the landscape, yet sited away from present roads and houses amid fields
which bear the undulations of a deserted, probably medieval village.


Listing NGR: SO5587846580

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.