This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 55.0421 / 55°2'31"N
Longitude: -1.8814 / 1°52'53"W
OS Eastings: 407676
OS Northings: 571965
OS Grid: NZ076719
Mapcode National: GBR HB94.GB
Mapcode Global: WHC37.2JCG
Entry Name: The Old Vicarage
Listing Date: 27 August 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1302131
English Heritage Legacy ID: 238893
Location: Stamfordham, Northumberland, NE18
Civil Parish: Stamfordham
Built-Up Area: Stamfordham
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Stamfordham
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
This List entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 27/04/2016.
NZ 07 SE
The Old Vicarage
(Formerly listed as: The Old Vicarage THE GREEN (South side))
Former vicarage, now 2 houses. C17 and early C18, partly remodelled 1764 for
Thomas Dockwray, and additions of 1847 by John Dobson. Dressed stone with
ashlar dressings. Graduated Welsh slate roof. Double span.
Facade in 3 sections. To right a 2-storey, 4-bay projecting section. In left
bay half-glazed door with architrave, dated 1764, pulvinated frieze inscribed
AEDES HAESCE LABENTES REFECIT THO DOCKWRAY, and pediment bearing Rococo
decoration and shield. 12-pane sash, 4-pane sash and French window on ground
floor. Broad 1st floor band and narrow 1st floor sill band. 12-pane sashes on
1st floor. Steeply-pitched roof with kneelers and renewed brick end stacks.
One-bay section recessed to left; late C17 or early C18. 3 storeys. Narrow
12-pane sashes with triple keystones and moulded sills.
To left and contiguous with central section a 3-storey,3-bay range also with triple
keystones but without the moulded sills. Steeply pitched gabled roof with
kneelers and old brick ridge stack.
Rear span: C17 section to left in old, thick masonry; large external chimney
stack. Extended to right by Dobson in ashlar. 6-panel door in pedimented
Tuscan entablature; 12- and 9-pane sashes.
Interior: drawing room, of 1764: panelled walls with enriched moulding and
dado rail, multi-moulded cornice with dentils, wood Rococo chimney piece with
basket of flowers in the frieze. Dining room has large early C18 fireplace with
segmental brick arch and stone relieving arch, large solid 2-panel door. Former
kitchen has fireplace flanked by 2 segmental-arched cupboards with chamfered
stone surrounds. Several 2-panel doors. Early C18 roof timbers. Cellars by
Dobson with shallow segmental brick vaults.
Listing NGR: NZ0767671965
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings