History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Hodges Farmhouse

A Grade II* Listed Building in Froyle, Hampshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.1939 / 51°11'37"N

Longitude: -0.9169 / 0°55'0"W

OS Eastings: 475779

OS Northings: 144407

OS Grid: SU757444

Mapcode National: GBR C90.30G

Mapcode Global: VHDY6.2833

Entry Name: Hodges Farmhouse

Listing Date: 31 July 1963

Last Amended: 31 May 1985

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1302202

English Heritage Legacy ID: 141945

Location: Froyle, East Hampshire, Hampshire, GU34

County: Hampshire

District: East Hampshire

Civil Parish: Froyle

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire

Church of England Parish: Froyle The Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Church of England Diocese: Winchester

Find accommodation in
Lower Froyle

Listing Text

SU 74 SE FROYLE LOWER FROYLE

5/7 Hodges Farmhouse
31/07/63 (Formerly listed as Hodges)
GV II*

House. Late C17, and 1766. Brick walls, and tiled roof. A building of 2 stages
the 1st being a timber-framed house with later brick cladding, and the 2nd a
slightly wider and taller unit attached to its front. Symmetrical front (south
west) of 2 storeys and attic, 5 windows. Plain roof, with a central gabled dormer
(with casements). Red brick walls in header bond,moulded brick eaves, rubbed
flat arches, 1st floor moulded band, plinth; at each side there is a pilaster
produced by rusticated blocks, returned on the end gables, with a cornice
incorporating the eaves moulding, and above this a section of wall, returned to
the gable and with a coping (indicating a former parapet along the whole front).
Sashes with thick glazing bars. The brick doorway is formed as a slightly
projecting unit, with a pediment, key to the arched opening, impost bands and
plinth; radiating fanlight above a 6-panelled door. Inside there is the original
staircase of 1766, with a ½-landing leading into the rear block, dado panelling
to staircase, hall and rooms, architraves and panelled doors. The rear block
is a lower 2 storeys, with a catslide roof, brick walls in Flemish bond, with
cambered openings, casements, and a boarded door in a plain opening.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.