This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.9148 / 50°54'53"N
Longitude: -1.3925 / 1°23'32"W
OS Eastings: 442806
OS Northings: 112986
OS Grid: SU428129
Mapcode National: GBR RS8.7D
Mapcode Global: FRA 76ZP.FC0
Entry Name: The Old Farm House Public House
Listing Date: 14 July 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1302207
English Heritage Legacy ID: 135859
Location: Southampton, SO14
County: City of Southampton
Electoral Ward/Division: Bevois
Built-Up Area: Southampton
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: Southampton City Centre St Mary
Church of England Diocese: Winchester
1. MOUNT PLEASANT ROAD
The Old Farm House
SU 4212 2/167 14.7.53
Dated 1611 E. R. in brickwork but core probably earlier. There was a grange
of St Denys Priory on the site in the Middle Ages. The Southampton map of
1560 shows a farmhouse on the site. There is said to be a tunnel connecting
this building with Bitterne Manor. Two storeys red brick on a stone base
which is probably part of an earlier building. Moulded carved corbelled brick
stringcourse at first floor level in central portion of front. Irregular
elevation with 2 gables. Timber-framing to upper part. Two large restored
chimney stacks, with diamond-shaped shafts in groups. Modern tiled roof.
Modern windows. Original oak panelled iron studded door with later brick
porch. The first floor rooms have exposed windbraces and the roof is of queen
post construction. Parlour with early C16 stone fireplace with 4 centred
arch and panelling and fine carved over mantel of circa 1611.
Listing NGR: SU4255313582
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings